Monday, January 14, 2008

Work-out day with Mom

Today was technically a 'bike' day for me, but my mother spent the night last night and we decided to exercise together this morning. Her fitness level is not the same as mine, so I decided to modify my routine to make it challenging for 'her' level.

We did a 6.5 mile bike ride. She was maintaining a good cardio pace, but the ride was leisurely for me. We then did a 3.3 mile power walk. Again, I made sure that she was maintaining a good cardio pace for her fitness level. She even wanted to throw in a few 60 seconds jogs. I'm SOOO proud of her! There were a few times when she wanted to give up, but I knew that she could do this. She's been doing low-impact aerobics at the gym for the past 7 months, so while I knew that the bike/power walk combo would be challenging for her, I also knew that she could get through it.

I didn't really get any sort of cardio work-out this morning, but at least I got my major muscle groups moving. I also took her through a lot of stretches in between the bike and the walk and then again after walk... and that was good for both of us.

Tomorrow begins week 6 of C25K! So excited! Ohhh... little milestone: I mentioned above that my mother asked me to throw in a few 60 seconds jogs into our powerwalk. Well, I talked her through those entire 60 seconds without even missing a beat! It actually amazed me that I was able to talk continuously during those little bursts... they didn't wind me at all! To think that just 5 weeks ago I couldn't do that! Wow! I told her that I can't wait until I can run the whole 5K that comfortably and then eventually a 10k that way! I KNOW I'll get there in time!

No comments: