Saturday, January 19, 2008

C25K- Week 6 Day3

With the completion of the 25 minute run this evening, week 6 of C25K is finished. I really had to motivate myself to actually get out there and run today as I woke up with REALLY tight calves from the BodyStep class that I took yesterday. Friday is normally a free weight class, but our instructor was in a bad accident last weekend and the gym offered a BodyStep class in place of it. I quit taking BodyStep classes eons ago b/c they killed my knees! I'm just too bouncy for that stuff. I end up hurting myself.

Once I got outside and got moving, I was okay. Why is it that the first 3 minutes of a run always hurt the worst? Shouldn't it be the last 3 minutes? Maybe once I hit longer distance it will be, but right now getting through those first three minutes is such a battle for me. My body seems to scream... NO!!! Anyway, so the 25 minute run was really nothing. By the time the podcast told me to stop, I could have totally kept on going. I wore my husband's HR monitor again and once again, I ran comfortably in the 166-167 bpm zone. I guess that's where I'm supposed to be. I couldn't possibly sustain that for 25 minutes if I were overexerting myself, could I?

Monday marks the start of week 7... and a week full of 25 minute runs, which at this point I'm not at all worried about. I said last week that I was going to ditch the podcasts at this point b/c the music sort of stinks, but now I don't know. I sort of look forward to hearing Robert's voice. Weird!

I have no idea whether anyone out there is reading this blog, but if you are AND you are thinking about C25K or you are doing it now... YOU CAN DO THIS! I have never, ever liked running in the past. I didn't think it would be possible that I would ever enjoy running! Six full weeks ago, I considered myself a pretty fit person... yet I could not run any sort of distance. Today I can run for 25 minutes straight... maybe more! This program is truly amazing!

Running Summary

Mileage covered: approx. 3.4 miles (I made sure to finish the whole 5K route and then had to still walk myself home).
Calories burned: 347
Average HR: 147 bpm (obviously includes all of the walking segments)
Max HR: 174 bpm
Average during runs: 166-167 bpm the watch didn't tell me this, it's what I kept seeing when I looked down

No comments: