Friday, January 25, 2008

'Spirit of the Marathon'

Scott and I went to see the one night only screening of "Spirit of the Marathon" at the theater last night. WOW! Amazing! I am no where close to running this sort of distance (and I'm not sure if I'll ever be), but this documentary could inspire ANYONE to get up and challenge themselves to 'whatever'. My husband detests running, but he does train for what is probably the two toughest minutes in sports... the Firefighter Combat Challenge. Even though this movie was about an endurance activity, he really enjoyed it and said that he came away with a lot of confidence. I'm not a marathoner either (of course, my 25 minute runs often 'feel' like a marthon by minute 23), but I could totally relate to the people in this film.

I'm not sure if there is an encore screening or not, but if anyone out there reads my blog (and you do any sort of sport as a personal challenge).... you need to see this!

Week 7, Day 2 of C25K was completed indoors on a treadmill yesterday and I have confirmed the fact that I am no longer running at my original 'swift' 9:13 min/mile pace. Boo-hiss! I'm right around 10, maybe 10:15 or so. My HRM is telling me that I need to slow down even further. On one hand, I'm SO proud of myself for even being able to do this and on the other hand, I really, REALLY wanted to break 30 minutes at my 5K in March. I don't know if that's going to happen now and I'm a bit disappointed. I'm just so darn competitive with myself!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherry! Your post is fun. I just started my own. I'm doing my second Danskin this year and it's ON TO IRONMAN 2010. Good luck w/your training. I'll keep you bookmarked and check in now and then. You're a good inspiration. Thanks! Jessica

Rachel said...

I LOVED it. It was good. I'm going to see it again. I have to wait until 2/1 to sign up for the Chicago marathon. Darn!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry!!!

I love your blog!! It's so cool to meet someone near me at the same level. Join the Zoomers, they are the nicest group of people I've ever met. I'm probably the newest and slowest and no one has ever made me feel like I didn't belong. Everyone is great about giving advice and giving me confidence.

I just ran 14.5 miles in 2 hours, 43 minutes. I was hoping for 2 hours, 30 minutes, but I'm just happy I'm alive to tell someone I did it....LOL

Keep in touch!!!!
Kim