Monday, January 7, 2008

C25K- Week 5, Day 1

Today I began week 5 of the Couch to 5K program. Unlike week 4, I approached this week without any 'worry'. Getting through the first four weeks without much difficulty has proven that I need not 'dread' each coming week. In fact, I find myself looking forward to the challenge that each new week brings. This week is especially exciting because each workout of week 5 is different. Today was run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run 5 minutes. Thursday's run will be walk 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 8 minutes and finally on Saturday will be my first 20-minute non-stop run. I must admit that the 'sound' of running twenty minutes straight sounds scary, but if I look at it logically, it's not all that different than what I've been doing. I try to do true 'power walks' that keep my heartrate up during the 'walk intervals' so there really isn't any reason that I can't run those intervals with a little extra effort.
I'm looking forward to the challenge.

The route that I am using for week 5 is just about 2.5 miles. For my own reference, the route begins in my driveway circles around the 'big loop', continues to US-41 and then back to my driveway.

On the triathlon training side of things, I rode my bike again yesterday... and I had my inaugural clipless pedal tumble. Yep, I fell right over in slow motion. Just like the bike shop guy said that I eventually would. Soooo... my wrist is a bit sore today which put off any chances of going for a ride today. I'm hoping that by tomorrow things will feel better and I'll be able to get in a 10 mile ride.

Clipless pedal tip: It's MUCH easier (and safer) to clip in that second pedal while your moving. Don't be a dodo like I was yesterday and try to clip that 2nd foot in while you're still at somewhat of a standstill.

No comments: