Monday, September 21, 2009

Taking it all in stride

Happy taper week!

Ooohhh... I am 6 days out from my very first half iron event. I've read that at this point in the game I should be doubting my training and having the urge to squeeze in something extra; however, thankfully, I have a mack-daddy coach so I'm not having those doubts at all. Nope, barring complete catastrophe, Sherry and Scott are going to be finishers next Sunday!

This past Saturday was the last longish (although 2 hours is not long at all anymore) brick. Scott had to pick the bikes up from their tune-up after he got off shift in the morning, so we didn't even get started until 11AM! As soon as we finished, I raced to the computer to check out the temperature and heat index. Kevin scared the shyte out of me with this post, so I had to see what I had just successfully exercised in. The verdict... 90F with 100F heat index! Yippee! I still can't believe that I can 'somewhat' tolerate this crap. That's just insane. Today is the first day of Fall, but where is it? Oh yeah... we don't get Fall until November! Anyway, I digress...

All finished with the intervals and ready to pedal home

Seriously, I shouldn't sweat like this on a bike ride. Run, yes; bike, no. And definitely NOT in this lovely pattern. ;p

T-runs at my house are a bit of an Ironman affair. Our garage is pretty much turned into a changing tent and everything comes off! No way am I running in sweaty bike clothes if I don't have to. Obviously this is not a great way to practice transitions for the shorter races that I do, but it is what it is.

So, this was my attire for the run. Um, seriously... WHEN DID THE 80's RETURN? I've been seeing a trend towards bright over the past year and I've been wearing bits and pieces of it myself; however, my run outfit on Saturday took the cake. I actually noticed myself! Like, day-glo overboard!

So yeah, like, I'm totally tubular for sure!

FEAST
Scott and I are single-handedly keeping the watermelon farmers in business. I can't get enough of the pink stuff lately.

A pink yum fest!

CH-CH-CH-CH-CHANGES
So thinking ahead to 2010 may have been a bit premature. As some of you know, I work for an itty-bitty safety training company. We have two payroll employees... that would be me and the boss man. We have really taken a beating over the past year; the economy has us black and blue. My hours were already reduced about 2 months ago (along with boss man's hours as well) and this morning I received what I guess I would call a "pre-termination" notice. Um, yeah... so I may be jobless soon. Boss man said he would let me know after I returned from Georgia.

Scott told me that I need to look at this as a GOOD thing! This is a time for me to step out, try something new... find a job that I love; not just one that earns me a paycheck... but something that I truly enjoy getting up for. Sounds great to me, but still... getting laid off (um, no paycheck for me) is scary. I don't care how optimistic you try to be about it.

No matter, this is not going to affect my mindset for Augusta. Nothing is set in stone and I've put in too much training time to be thinking about my job during the 56 mile bike leg of the race. Then again, maybe I can think about what I would really love to be doing if I weren't doing that bike leg. Hmmm....

14 comments:

Molly said...

Woohoo! You are so ready!!! Can't wait to see you guys in just a few days.

Sorry about the job uncertainty...that's hard. But Scott is right, it may be a new opportunity in disguise. Don't worry about it till after the race, it's nothing that you can control so it's not worth devoting the worrying time to as yet!

See ya soon!

Gotta Run..... said...

Sometimes doors are opened even when we do not plan for them to be. Just ask my husband :)

garage turns into a changing tent.... now that is GREAT!!!!

cheryl said...

nice pics! Sherry you look so fit and ready to go! Things always have a way of working themselves, maybe the job change is a blessing in disguise. ok, hope to see you in a few days, I"ve got my eye on the weather sky, and it looks like a hot one in AUgusta, and you will be ready for the heat.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Sorry about the job... maybe professional triathlete as a new job? :)
Or (based on the photo) professional wet tee shirt competitor??
Have a great trip and race!!

Karen said...

You might just have a watermelon addiction. I'm just sayin...

Scott is right about the job. Sometimes these things can turn out for the best even though it seems like horrible new at the time.

Have a great race in Augusta! Hopefully the rain will be outta here by then :)

Jennifer Harrison said...

One door closes and another opens! I got laid off the week after 9/11...and I was pregnant w. Twins! AND THEN Jerome got laid off the day after me. We freaked out....for a minute...THEN I did what I always wanted to...help others in Triathlon. It surely did NOT pay the bills 10 years ago (before Facebook and blogs!) but everything always works out. GOOD LUCK!

AND you are ready for this weekend!!!!! YAY

Kevin said...

Less then a week. It looks like the weather forecast is changing some (it seems to change every day). The real feel has come back don, but now there is a chance of rain, so it should be interesting. I need to keep things in perspective and only worry about that which I can control.

I am sure there is something promising in your future.

ShirleyPerly said...

HA, you know you've been living in Central FL too long when the the first thing you see looking at that sweat on your bike top is Mickey Mouse!

And you are soooo ready for Augusta no matter what Mother Nature may throw at you or your boss. Go kick @ss and then figure out what next to conquer, I say. Safe travels and look forward to reading your race report!

Melissa said...

GoGoGo! You are so ready and you're going to do great at your first HIM! Kick some bootie!

I agree with what everyone else has said about jobs and doors and outlook....it sounds like it's happening, so embrace it (which you are!) and follow your heart.

Go Sherry!

Keith said...

Hi, got here from comments on ELF's blog.

Half IM is fun. You're going to have a great time! Take it one piece at a time, and next thing you know you'll be across the finish line. Looking forward to reading about it.

I too worked (note past tense) for a safety training company. That was back in Jan. I took it as an opportunity to train more, be outside, and to reflect on who and what I was, and what I wanted to become. Yes, it's a bit scary not working, but there are compensations. Take the time to enjoy life.

Missy said...

I have always felt that way going into a taper - just ready to roll, ready to go. I don't get all freaky and shit, I KNOW I've done the work, nothing more to do know. Augusta is going to be great. You will surprise yourself.

You said pink stuff..

Tri Mommy said...

Try not to worry too much about the job thing just yet. I have found that life has a way of working things out the way they should be. We just don't usually see it while we're in the middle of it.

And I sweat like that on the bike ride too...

Tri Mommy said...

Oh and according to today's accuweather, it's saying it will be a high of 83 with a "real feel" of 84. If that turns out to be the case, we Florida girls won't know what to do with ourselves (in a good way) training in the super heat like we do!

Oldman said...

send me your resume... when you get back!