So today I began week 6 of the Couch to 5K program. Today's run consisted on a 5 minute warm-up, 5 minute run, 3 minute walk, 8 minute run, 3 minute walk, 5 minute run, 5 minute cool down.
I sort of feel like the program worked backwards today. It seemed weird to include walking intervals again after 20 minutes of running in W5D3. Today's work-out also only had me run a total of 18 minutes, whereas in the W5D3 workout I ran for a total of 20 minutes. Strange things! I suppose whoever created it structured it this way for a reason.
Anyway, I ran today's program indoors on a treadmill... in near sauna-like conditions at my gym. Here's how my workout was structured:
Incline: 1% throughout workout
Walking warm-up interval speed: 4mph
Running interval speed (A): 6.5 mph for first 5 min. run and 8 min. run
Running interval speed (B): 6.5 to 7mph for last 5 minute run
Walking cool down interval speed: 3 mph
Vertical feet climbed: 170'
Calories burned: 311
Total distance: 3.1 miles (I walked an extra minute or so in the cool down to reach the 3.1 mile mark)
Aside from the fact that I was sweating like a pig under the gym's super-saturated 'sweat infested' air system, the workout felt quite doable. I only felt like I had to 'push' on the last minute or so of the final 5-minute run... and that's probably b/c I had pushed the speed up to 7mph for a bit immediately beforehand.
I tell ya, it felt REALLY good to take a break from running on the sidewalk. After my run today, my body felt so good. Normally I feel stiff. No weird cramps today either. Woot!
I ended up having some time to wait while my husband was finishing up his personal training session, so I hopped on one of the gym's nifty high-tech stationary bikes and took a ride down the 'Coastal Highway' for about 10 minutes. I managed to peel off some more calories while keeping my rpm's above 90 at all times. Speeds varied between 11mph and 17.5 mph depending on the incline.
Equipment purchase: I purchased my Polar S625X today. It should arrive tomorrow. DH and I also paid off our cars today! We're celebrating with two NY Strip steaks this evening! YUM!
Yay! So a good workout today... and a great day overall!
1 comment:
Thanks for the comment on my blog. That was such a nice compliment.
Great workout! I hate when the temps are too high in gyms. Yuck! Running on the treadmill is a always a nice break from sidewalks. I always prefer trails or even asphalt over cement. The surfaces on tracks are also more forgiving.
If you were running 20 min straight last week, the program you're on may want to have an "easy" day to allow your body to recover. Just a thought.
Great job! Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment