
The feeling of success! The character above (sans my skirt and curly hair) was pretty much me yesterday after finishing what I consider to be a very successful week of training. It began with an awesome 8 mile LSR last Monday, exploded with a rockin' hill repeat session on Friday, and then reached its zenith with a 20 mile bike/2 mile run 'brick' which produced an average run pace time that was 20 seconds faster than I've ever moved before. The other workouts for the week were also spot-on. Overall a terrific training week which my body will hopefully absorb completely before July 13th. Man, that recovery week last week sure did work wonders!
Everyone out there in blog land, I urge you to take a recovery week!!!
This upcoming week is an exciting one. I have the Freedom Swim event on July 4th. It's a 1.6 mile open water swim in Charlotte Harbor. I've never done it before, but I've had my eye on it for the past 6 years. I'm not even sure that I can complete it. I often swim well over a mile during a single pool training session, but I also have 20 to 60 second breaks thrown in between intervals and I'm not fighting open water turbulence or a current. The Freedom Swim would pretty much be continuous swimming with the added open water elements.
To ensure that I feel safe and actually enjoy the open water practice, I've asked my husband to kayak beside me. The Freedom Swim itself is not a race, but rather a community event. There is no timer. People are allowed to swim, float, and paddle their way across. Whatever it takes to get to the other side. I've heard that many people also do this race in the buff... after all, it is a "freedom" swim! Sorry to disappoint all of my fans, but that won't be me! :p
Olympic Trials Mania: I'm officially addicted to my DVR. Between Wimbledon and the Track & Field Trials (swimming trials start today), I can't get away from NBC and ESPN! My DVR is on overload! Sooooo happy that Kara Goucher was awarded her ticket to Beijing in the 10,000 on Friday. She's a favorite of mine and I'm happy that she did well.
Side note... would you say that you possibly have a running addiction when you set your DVR playback on slow motion just so you can watch the mechanics of the pro runners? Foot strike, leg turnover, body position... this is addiction, isn't it???
Training for June 30th through July 6th
Monday: 8 mile LSR + push-ups (W2D1)
Tuesday: 4 mile easy w/ strides + easy swim?? + push-ups (W2D1)
Wednesday: 15 mile bike- intervals + RPM class + push-ups (W2D2)
Thursdsay: 5 miles (2 mile easy + 3 mile hill repeats)
Friday: Charlotte Harbor Freedom Swim
Saturday: 10 mile bike + 3 mile brick run + push-ups (W2D3)
Sunday: rest
6 comments:
I laughed out loud when I read the part where you watched the runners in slo-mo! (so did you get any info????) LOL
Very nice training Sherry! I feel like a slacker when I read your posts!!
You are definitely an addict... but who isn't out here in blogland? Hmm?
I have been keeping up with the Trials as well and look forward to watching more! Wahoo! :)
Keep up the great work. That Swim this coming weekend should be fun and I look forward to hearing about it! :)
LMAO! I've got the Trials on DVR as well. I missed it Sat but got Sunday's on there.
Sherry-
Great workouts!
Good luck in the swim if you do it. People really swim it in the buff? I guess that gives the name of the race a new definition huh? :)
Way to go on the workouts. I would like to get some open water swimming in this year but the water is still too cold here! And who says you're an addict? Just a good way to analyze someone else's success.
Yes, it's an addition!
I am glad I found your blog. (via Running ahead post on running skirts).
I slow -mow the triathletes during their swims to try and pick up points.
Post a Comment