Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weekend ramblings

20 miles per week... check! I met my 20 miles per week mileage goal... without any injuries. Hurray! It's probably b/c running this amount of mileage during tri training is fairly new to me, but I am finding it more and more difficult to plan an appropriate training schedule.

Scheduling thoughts. I'm trying to ensure that I produce a schedule that offers appropriate rest and recovery, but it's tough. This week I'll be adding another spin class to the mix for a total of 3 spin classes. Running mileage will stay the same at 20 miles. Two swim sessions (one speed focused; one endurance focused) will be included along with one strength training session.

In the past, I have opted to do one long run on Monday. This week I'm changing that. Since today (Sunday) is a rest day, I should be fresh and ready to go tomorrow. Thursday (which normally would have two workouts) will now have only one workout. This way I get a bit of a midweek recovery thrown in.


Training plan for the week of 6-9-08

Monday: 6 mile easy run + 1 hour spin class
Tuesday: 3 mile fartlek run + endurance focused swim
Wednesday: 2 mile easy run + 1 hour spin class
Thursday: 7 mile easy run speed focused swim
Friday: Strength training + speed focused swim 4 mile run
Saturday: 1 hour spin class + 5 mile easy run
Sunday: REST

Shoes, glorious shoes! I'm still on the hunt for the ever elusive pair of HG running kicks! The Asics Gel-Kayano 14's worked out well this week for the most part. With 9 miles on them, I have not had any of the aches and pains that I've had in the past in my ankles, legs, or hips. The hip pain that I had at the beginning of the week is completely gone! However, there are two things that prohibit the Kayanos from being considered a HG shoe. First, at 10.8 oz each, I find them a bit heavy for my frame. Second, even with aftermarket insoles that add arch protection, I am feeling some burning in my arches when I run that I didn't ever feel with the 'higher arched' Nimbus. This week, I'm determined to try on some Mizuno Wave Inspires (8.9oz) and a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8 (9.5oz).

5 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

Finding the perfect shoe can prove to be a nightmare! Our local running store will allow you to test them for several runs and bring them back if you have ANY problems or just don't like them for whatever reason.

Sure helps when you are forking out a ton of money.

Keep working on finding just the right pair.

Great, solid week of training. Cheers to another one coming up!!

teacherwoman said...

I loved my kayano's... but I forgot to mention the reason why I switched to my Brooks... because I needed more support and my kayano's weren't giving me that!

Congrats on the 20 miles last week! Your week ahead looks great!

Gotta Run..... said...

Go to my profile and send me an email. I will give you plenty of great info on what I have learn when it comes to the heat endurance training.

Alan said...

very solid training Sherry. Nice going!
What are your spin classes like? When I was doing tri's a couple of years ago I had a great instructor that did more bike oriented spin classes and had killer music to boot.

Brian said...

Hi,

First time on your blog today, jumped here from TeacherWomans blog.

Looks like you have a good training plan, I reading it and taking notes.

I run in Mizuno have and love them, very light and they fit much like an Asics.

Good luck on your quest for shoes.