My shoe saga continues. I returned the Mizuno Wave Nirvanas and the Lynco 405 orthotics to Fit2Run today. The folks there were sympathetic and more than willing to help me find something else. Once again I was placed on the treadmill... this time in my own pair of Nimbus. Yes, I overpronate... especially in my right foot; yes, I have high arches. What to do! Out came a pair of Saucony Paramounts. Back on the treadmill... still not enough correction in the right foot. Out came a pair of Asics Gel-Kayano 14's. Back on the treadmill... more correction than the Saucony Paramounts, but still not perfect in the right foot. Was told that I may have some mild overpronation in that right foot, but that we shouldn't attempt to correct it any further as it would end up throwing the left foot (which is now perfect) into a supinated position.
Overall impression- The Gel-Kayano's feel a lot like my Nimbus in the overall fit. My heel doesn't slip and I have ample room in the forefoot. Ride is obviously stiffer than the Nimbus. Lynco 400 orthotics were placed into the Kayanos for support of my high arches. These feel great! I'm so relieved to be rid of the metatarsal pad that was in the 405's. Four mile easy run went well tonight. Kayano's feel stiffer than the Nimbus, but not overly so. I found the shock absorption to be more than adequate. I actually don't have much to complain about overall. I think they are keepers!
Scheduling adjustments- my post below reflects a schedule that has seen better days! Lots of strikes and adjustments this week. After Monday and Tuesday's workouts, I felt a lot of soreness in both hips. I'm not sure if this soreness was related to the running OR to the laps of breaststroke kicks that I did at the pool on Tuesday. As a precaution, I opted out of yesterdays 3 mile run and only did a spinning class. I'm also still nursing a bit of a muscle insertion issue in either my right hamstring or my right gastroc (not sure which, all I know is that it inserts behind the knee) and I felt it twinge a bit during spin class yesterday. So... today, I opted to do just a 4 mile easy run (instead of the fartlek) and some strength training. Since strength training was done this evening, tomorrow will be another 3 mile easy + swimming and then I should finally be back on schedule! Good thing I'm a flexible gal!! :o)
4 comments:
I used to the wear the Kayano's... until I found my Brooks Trance!
Welcome to Asics, those are my brand too! All I knew when I was looking for running shoes was that I was a nuetral runner with normal arches. I went to onlineshoes.com, put that in the search bar and looked for something in pink. No kidding. They were perfect. Last April I did the same thing, only forgot to search for nuetral runner and got a pair of Frantic Two's. I couldn't even walk in them! Jim looked a little closer and realized I'd bought heel striker shoes. Had to send them back. I had to admit I only wanted them because the color was called "raspberry". HA!!! I saw that and forgot to make sure they were my type.
I'm glad you found some that are comfy!! Makes such a huge difference.
I can't do this Tuesday's beach run, but I'm definately doing the following race. Let me know if you're going too!
Hey Kim! Shoes stink... literally and figuratively.
I was wearing Asic Nimbus before I was "told" that I was a high-arched overpronator... perhaps one of the most difficult foot-types to fit. The Kayanos are "ok". I'm not having some of the little aches and pains that I had with the Nimbus, but my arches hurt a bit (b/c most stability shoes are made for those with low arches, not high ones). I have inserts in them, but they still aren't quite right.
I'm just going to continue to experiment. I want to try Brooks and another pair of Mizunos in the future.
Argh!
Stacy- The Brooks are definitely on my list to try. I did try on the Brooks Adrenaline during the very first session at the shoe store. THEY would have been my shoe selection that day but the material was creasing a litte weird on my right foot only. I've read some internet reviews and it seems that this model is running slightly large, so that may have been the problem. I'm definitely going to give the Brooks line another good lookin at b/c I really loved how the Adrenalines felt underfoot!
Post a Comment