
I feel terrific! So terrific that I'm once again starting to look forward to my tri in July... despite the heat! Wow, I know!
This was the first time that I ever included a recovery week into my training. I've done a taper before (right before my first tri), but I've never taken a full recovery week... or more accurately, a volume reduction week during training. The goal during this past week was not to just flub my workouts, but to reduce my volume in each discipline by 40%. In my spin classes, I reduced the intensity on the flywheel. I was beyond tired last week, but by Wednesday morning of this week I felt like a new person.
All future training plans will include a -40% recovery week every 4th week of training. Immediately after the week is over, it's right back to business.
I have plans to take my bike out for a 30 mile road ride tomorrow morning... that is if I can pull myself out of bed. I had been doing spin classes on Saturdays, but I really, really need to get out on the road. My bike has a layer of dust on it.
Heartland Triathlon countdown begins. I have two full weeks of training left before I enter my taper week. It's all about mental toughness. I have to believe that I can push myself through those two weeks of tough peak training, enjoy the taper that follows and then have a wonderful triathlon on the 13th!
Over the next two weeks I want to continue to concentrate on making my easy runs, easy! I'm still not running them slowly enough. I need to move up into that 11 min/mile mark and have faith that running longer and slower will lead to incresed recovery and ultimately faster races. I also need to focus on my speedwork session. I need to really give it a full go... not half-ass it as I sometimes do. Getting outdoors on the bike is key over these next two weeks. I need to get out there at least twice a week for quality rides.
Things I'm wishing for (as gear whores always do) in no particular order:
1. A trisuit
2. A new pool suit to practice in... my backside is almost visible in my current one.
3. Another Running Skirt from RunningSkirt.com (these things ROCK). One of their cute strappy bras would be nice too.
4. A pair of Mizuno Wave Elixer racing flats. My run needs all the help that it can get and these buggers are LIGHT!
5. New bike shoes and new dual sided entry pedals. I'm tired of trying to flip my darn Shimano 'Look-types' over.
6 comments:
Recovery can be such a big help. Good to hear you are feeling better about your tri. It sounds like you have got things well planned out
Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! This was a great post with a lot of positives! You know what you need to do to prepare for this triathlon and that is huge! Keep it up, chica!
Happy Anniversary, Sherry! Congratulations!
Oh, and as for #2 on your wishlist - I'm not really understanding what the problem is with your current suit?
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Here's to many many many more years ;-)
Hi Sherry!! Happy Anniversary. How's those gorgeous curls?? I have your blog bookmarked on my computer and I check in every so often to see how you are doing. You are very motivating!!
Love and hugs,
Pat (BOWIE from LHC)
Happy Anniversary Sherry!!! Marriage is a wonderful thing!!
I'm having trouble with running in this heat. I'm so bummed. I just cannot do the treadmill or elliptical at all. So I will continue to sweat....lol
Post a Comment