Saturday, June 14, 2008

Entering volume reduction week

Rockin' my new Injinji socks before this morning's training

How can anyone resist a pair of Injinjis? They are like little bundles of love for your toes! I tested them during my 5 miler + spin class this morning and felt no worse for the wear. No weird rubbing, no blisters... no different than any other training day with any other pair of socks. Would I purchase another pair of Injinjis? Nah... but, I'm proud to own the pair that I have.

Monday starts a week of volume reduction. Since I've upped the volume and intensity of my training over the past 3 weeks, I decided that it's time that my schedule include a rest week (volume reduction) once every 4 weeks. I did a little research and it looks like a 40% reduction is the norm, so that's what I'll be doing this week. Hence:

20 miles per week of running will become 12 miles
2000 yds of endurance focused swimming will become 1200 yards
Spin classes will remain, but I will decrease intensity
... and so forth

Overall, here's the plan:

June 16 through June 22, 2008
40% volume reduction week

Monday: 4 mile easy run (outdoors) + 1 hr. spin class
Tuesday: 3 mile fartlek run (outdoors) + 1200 yd. endurance focused swim
Wednesday: 2 mile easy run (outdoors) + 1 hr spin class
Thursday: 2 mile easy run (outdoors; leg turnover focus) + 1000 yd. speed focused swim
Friday: strength training + 3 mile easy run (treadmill)
Saturday: 30 mile road ride
Sunday: rest

Since this is the first time I'll be employing a week of volume reduction, I'm super interested in learning how my body responds to it. I was super tired this past week, so I know I could use the rest. I'm hoping that adding these once a month reductions to my training plan will really aid in my body's response to all of my hard work... and of course, provide me with the all important recovery time to continue to train hard and injury free.

If anyone out there in blogland has any suggestions for me during this time period OR if you have different ideas about how a "rest" week is supposed to be designed, I beg of you... leave me a comment. I'm entering uncharted territory here and would love some positive or negative feedback.

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Good plan on reducing your volume. I think so many times I forget to do that. I have to remember to do that in a week!

Thanks for the reminder!

Gotta Run..... said...

Taper by enjoying lots of wine.... LOL!! Just joking.

Love the socks. I have them in white, tan, and black. Perfect for the trails.

Don't over carb and drink lots of fluids. Ohhh... and do plenty of stretching.