Tuesday, June 24, 2008

100 Push-Ups Challenge


I've become a 100 Push-Ups Challenge groupie! The ladies over at RA have such an enabling way about them. :o)

I seem to be a day behind most of the other groupies, so I opted to do my initial test AND my first push-up workout today.

I completed the initial test this morning and did 24 military style (no knees) 'good form' push-ups. I could have squeeked out a few additional 'crappy form' ones, but I think quality over quantity really applies with strength training.

My initial test results told me that I needed to start the program on level 3, which basically goes like this:

10 push-ups followed by 60 seconds of rest
10 push-ups followed by 60 seconds of rest
8 push-ups followed by 60 seconds of rest
6 push-ups followed by 60 seconds of rest
Max push-ups (program says at least 7) --> I ended up doing 15.

In total, I pumped out 73 military style push-ups today... this alone, shocks the shit out of me. I know it wasn't all at one time, but seriously! I even impressed myself! Woot! To be able to eventually do 100 at one shot! Well, that should surely help my swimming... to say the least.

So there it is. Week 1/Day 1 is ovah! I'll complete day 2 on Thursday and continue on every other day until the program ends 6 weeks from now. I 'should' be able to do 100 consecutive military style push-ups by then. If it builds up properly like C25K did, I have no doubt that I'll be there... we shall see!

9 comments:

Zoomy said...

Ha! I decided that since my right knee is already annoyed with me, I'd better take it easy on the arms...but I'm following you gals' progress and plan to do this program maybe in the Winter. I'd do Fall, but that would mean starting just a week or two before my marathon...probably a bad idea!

;)

Sherry said...

I think that's probably a very wise decision, K. I'm a bit nervous about how this program is going to initially affect my swim training... especially during the first few push-up sessions. Hoping the upper body isn't too fatigued to do a proper stroke! Yikes!

Marcy said...

Man, a lot of you chicas are doing this thing. I've gotta say, I would fail . . .miserably LMAO! I can only do one and that would NOT be the "real" kind. I'd be doing the one with the knees :-X

Awesome job ;D You'd kick my butt! hehe

Rick said...

Oh NO! Not you too! LOL You go girl! You're off to a great start! I think you'll be fine with the swimming in time. Might throw you off a bit to start, but will probably help a lot ultimately.

Heather said...

SOOO just reading your blog for a few minutes is encouraging to start running again! I have horrible pain in my feet that I will soon hope to have corrected...but I want to work out sooo bad. This push up thing just might be the push I need :) LOL!!
Thanks.

Sara said...

I've also decided to do that push up challenge b/c which woman hasn't wanted to do 100 military push ups!

My tri training hasn't been what I've been wanting. All my workouts have been very sporadic but I'm determined that starting Monday I'll be unpacked and back to my workout schedule!

teacherwoman said...

I think I am going to try and start this next week! I noticed Jess has been working on it and thought it would be another great challenge! You are rockin' it already!

Kevin said...

I am planning on starting this as soon as my shoulder stops hurting

Vickie said...

Join the club! I just finished with week 2, day 1. Its not getting easier, but my arms are certainly looking better!