
I'm bummed. There's no other way to say it. My running skill (or lack thereof) depresses me.
I've been training steadily for triathlons for over six months now (yes, I know this is not a long time in the grand scheme of things) and have really been giving it an all-out effort over the few months (and especially the past 4 to 5 weeks). I've increased the volume of my training runs, I've added speedwork, I've done my LSRs long and slow, I've concentrated on leg turnover, I've done everything that I keep reading about and guess what... I'm getting slower!
One side of my brain, with all of its reasoning, tells me that my slow times are due to the fact that when I run outside I'm running in 96% humidity (like this morning); still, that doesn't comfort the other side of my brain that reviews my training log and notices that I'm running the same pace times that I did in early March and that I'm running a good 1:30 per mile slower than I ran in April and May. See??? Depressing!!!
I have another triathlon in 4 weeks and I'm not even looking forward to it b/c I know that my run time is going to be slower than it was for my tri in May... despite the ramp up in my training. During my ridiculous run this morning, I began thinking about how I am not going to do ANY tris next summer at all. I may do two in the Spring and then two in the fall, but absolutely nothing between June and August. I've already decided not to do the Venice Tri in August this year, but I did pick up a fall race in October (should be cooler AND a good warm-up for MiamiMan). I guess I'm just not built for the heat... either that or no matter how hard I train I will never be faster than a 9 min/mile runner.
If the weather truly is a factor (and Mr. Spock logic tells me that it is), I don't know how other FL triathletes muster through the entire summer tri season. How does a naturally competitive person sit there and watch their times slow down and stomach it enough to maintain positive thinking? Again, that is if their times do slow. Maybe it's just me? I just really thought I would be farther along than this by now... improving steadily despite the heat.
Not much more to say right now other than, "oh well..."
6 comments:
(((HUGS)) You're doing better than me in those kinds of conditions. I generally just fall apart that kind of weather LOL. It's the heat I tell ya. The heat! Don't beat yourself up over it, given the circumstances you're doing an excellent job ;D ;D
Heat and humidity are truly evil--and look where you live! I am in MI and it kills me. Take it easy on yourself...come cooler weather you're gonna be a speed-demon, girl!
:)
Don't be too hard on yourself! You still have time to get faster! Patience my dear!
BTW... I truly believe that weather is a strong factor. If I were to collect more data on my running... it would show that my running is slower in extreme temps ... 40 degrees and below, as well as 75 (with 100% humidity) and above. Believe me. You are not the only one that suffers from the damn weather! hehehe
The weather is definitely a factor. The heat, and especially the humidity will definitely slow you down. But you will definitely get stronger
Just keep at it, Sherry. It's most definitely the heat and humidity that is sapping your speed. Your running is not in vain... the mileage will payoff, I guarantee it, even if you feel slower now. Keep slowly and consistently building your mileage, though tough during the summer months. You'll be faster in time and... more favorable weather. And remember... not every run is a race... it's a means to an end, which is the race.
Hang in there! ;-)
hey sher - i don't know if you listen to music while working out- i personally am a huge fan - but i find that my usual fast tempo tunes are too much for a long run b/c i can't keep my pace slow enough. instead i opt for podcasts on these long runs - people chatting keeps me moving at the right pace. i like listening to podcasts from this american life, steverunner.com and weekend america. Give it a whirl!
Post a Comment