Thursday, July 3, 2008

Freedom Swim countdown

2007 Freedom Swim

The annual 1.6 mile Peace River Freedom Swim takes place at 1PM tomorrow and I'll be there with bells on. Okay, no bells; but definitely with a swimsuit on (unlike some of the other 'Freedom' streakers).

We borrowed a big 'ole Ocean Kayak from a neighbor and Scott will be there beside me the whole way. I'm throwing my SCUBA fins in the kayak in case I feel like I need some extra help... and of course, Scott can always tow me to shore on the rear of the yak if I bonk. Actually the thing is so big, I could probably just jump in.

My mother just called to wish me 'good luck' and I reminded her that this is not a race and that I'm looking at is as a safe opportunity to get in open water swim time with lots of other people around. To be honest, since we are swimming with a slack tide (so I won't get any help getting from point A to point B), I do not expect to be able to swim the entire thing unaided. I usually always swim over a mile in a single pool session, but my training is geared towards 'sprint' distance events and I take 20 to 60 second breaks between sets. Tomorrow's swim is longer than 1/2 iron distance & it's theoretically continuous.

It's actually nice going into something without any sort of self-imposed pressure to perform. As I sit and type this, I'm not nervous. If it were a race, I would be very anxious. As long as it doesn't thunderstorm tomorrow afternoon (like it did today), the sharks stay away, I don't get run over by a boat, AND the boat exhaust fumes aren't too terrible... it should be a really nice day.

I'm going to 'try' to get Scott to snap some photos, but I'm not sure how much water he'll generate inside the yak. I certainly don't want to exit the water to find a ruined digi cam. LOL!

Freedom Swim Gear:
swimsuit
cap
Aquasphere Vista OW goggles (spare pair of Speedo Air Seal XR)
Aquasocks (for beach entry- I am not about to step on any fishing tackle)
SCUBA fins (in case I need a little 'help' along the way)
pool noodle (to float on while I wait for a chance to exit on the pier)
1/2-1/2 mix of h20 & Gatorade Endurance formula
packet of GU (I'm all out of my Accel Gel; but I don't think I'll really need this anyway)
towel
dry bag
sunscreen

Training updates: Training is going well and I stayed on target this week except for the push-up segments. I only got in day 1 of week 2 so far... so I'm a bit behind. I was just really afraid of overdoing it on my upper body and then suffering during the swim tomorrow.

I should note that I'm slowly falling in love with structured treadmill sessions. "Structured" being key. I did a 5-mile hill repeat session today. Those hills hurt so good!!! Saturday is my last 'brick' before my next tri and it's a shortie... just a good 10 miles on the bike followed by a 3 mile run. Monday starts my short taper week! I'm very excited about my upcoming tri! I can't believe it's only 10 days away. Feels like the Danskin was just yesterday.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Happy 4th. Hope the swim went well