Monday, February 18, 2008

12.2 mile bike & training schedule for the week

Ahhh... today marks the first day of training "after" the race. My calves and hamstrings were still a bit tight when I woke up this morning and I even had some soreness in both of my tibialis anterior muscles (I'm usually never sore here), but I knew that my training must go on.

In the past 2 weeks, I have been doing 10.2 miles on each bike ride. I decided that I would step up my mileage this week by doing two extra miles- taking things to 12.2 mile per ride. I rode in a 14 mph SSW wind today and that made the ride quite challenging in spots. Total ride time was approx. 54 minutes which is up 10 minutes from my longest previous ride. No aches, no pains. I feel great!

My glute/hip feels MUCH better today. It hurt something aweful yesterday. I plan on scheduling an appt. with a Sport's Med physician tomorrow. I can cycle and swim pain-free, but I can't do a triathlon (or any additional 5K's) if I can't run pain-free.

Here is my tentative training schedule for the week of Feb 17th - Feb 23:

Sunday: REST
Monday: Bike 12.2 miles
Tuesday: Elliptical, 4 miles on cross-country setting (42 minutes) --> as a substitute for my run
Wednesday: 60 min. circuit + 1300 yd swim (33 minutes)
Thursday: Bike 12.2 miles
Friday: 1750 yard swim (33 minutes)
Saturday: Elliptical, 5.01 miles on cross-country setting (53 minutes) --> as a substitute for my run

Ideally, I think I should be doing 3 days of running since running is probably my weakest sport; however, I'm keeping it at 2 days per week right now and just increasing the amount of time that I run by 10%. **UPDATE: I have decided to substitute an elliptical workout for my run workouts this week. I think that right now it's just better to not have the impact on my hip/glute. ** Eventually I want to add a day of speedwork, but that will come once I figure out what's going on with my backside. In the future, I also want to continue doing a one-mile run after all of my bike rides; again, however, that will have to wait on my arse.


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good job on your 5K! It can take your body a bit to recover so be patient with yourself. Good job on your workouts!

Sherry said...

Thanks so much, Rachel! I had a lot of fun at my very first race (despite my glute/hip pain) and I can't wait to do another one once I'm healthy again.

My other workouts are going great and I'm so proud of myself. Sometimes I still can't believe that I'm able to handle all of this exercise... but my body surprises me! Every week I feel stronger and stronger!

Thanks for stopping by!!! :o)