Thursday, February 14, 2008

Training updates & unexpected 5K registration

My dear blogger friend Kim wrote about an upcoming local 5K in one of her most recent blogs. I must admit that when I started on this running program in mid-December, I didn't think I would be ready to run ANY 5K until my scheduled race in March. However, despite a sore piriformis muscle, I'm sorta itching to get out and do one. Registration was still open for this run on Saturday and so I committed. I had scheduled a training 5K anyway, so why not do it in a race format. It will be good experience even if my butt is still bothering me. Yay! I'm excited!

Ran a moderately paced 5K last night in 33 minutes or so. My legs were so fatigued from the 60 min. circuit workout that I did at the gym yesterday morning and from the bike riding on Tuesday. Lungs felt great though! Maybe the swimming is giving me a boost! Today I did 10.2 miles on the bike at 14mph with a lot of headwind followed immediately by a 1-mile run. I recently read that it's good for triathletes to finish off their bike and swim training with a short run. It supposedly helps the muscles to recover more quickly AND gets the body used to transitioning from quad or arm work to glute/hamstring work.

Tomorrow I am planning ONLY a swim. No run, no bike. I want to save my legs as much as possible for Saturday b/c I know that even though I'm not 'ready' to push myself... I probably will anyway.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherry,

I'm so excited for your first race!! Your time is very close to mine so we'll probably be running in the same pack. This SO appeals to my competitive nature.....LOL. I keep forgetting to ask if you're going to the Zoomers get together a week from tomorrow. My husband and I are going. Let me know if you want to go.

See you at the race, even if I can't run it...which will NOT go over too well in my mind....Hahahaha! But I'll be there to cheer on my buds!!!!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry...

I'm not going to make it to the race tonight afterall. We have family here from Boston and I thought they'd be here for the week. Turns out they're at Disney and only in our area for tonight and tomorrow. I haven't seen them since July so I'd rather spend some time with them. I was SO looking forward to meeting you! Will you be at the Zoomers gathering next Sat night? My husband and I are going. Let me know if you want more info on that.

GOOD LUCK on your first race!!! It's so exciting and I wish I could be there, but family comes first!

Kim

Sherry said...

Hi Kim! I missed you last night! Wish you could have made it, but I totally understand. :o) It was quite exciting running my first "adult" 5K in front of 230,000 people! I was more relaxed at the starting line than I thought I would be... but 3.1 miles in that race sure felt a lot 'longer' than when I run at home! LOL! I'm about to write a race report post to recap all of the deets of my very first race.

Thanks so much for your support over the past few weeks. I still can't wait to meet you in person! :o)