An ode to anti-perspirant/deodorant. An odd, but very necessary post.
Those who know me and know me well, also know that I am a sweat-fest and with the sweat comes the BO (and ruining bras, tanks, etc...). Since starting all of this running/triathlon nonsense two years ago, I have tried more AP/Deos than I care to admit. Last year, when all of the 'Clinical Strength' solutions arrived on scene, I was pretty much elated thinking that the higher percentage of active ingredient in them would surely solve my problem. I mean, dang, at $10 for 2oz of AP/Deo, they better tame my stink!
I kid you not, I tried every one of the clinical strength items on the market. Dove, Secret, Sure, Arm 'N Hammer... and even one marketed towards men. None of these busted my BO! None! Sure, they would leaving me smelling femininely sweet immediately after application (and before my sweat-fest), but the minute I worked up a sweat outdoors... bam, it's like I had never put anything on. Also, don't get me wrong... these clinical strength AP/Deos didn't just let me down during tough training sessions. Heck, the straw that broke the camel's back occurred 2 weeks ago when I was just cutting my grandfather's hair outside. It was a warm, muggy day (maybe around 85F with very high humidity) and like I always do, I started to sweat. Now, when you're cutting hair, your arms are raised a lot... and all of the sudden I was like, "Dude, I can smell myself! No good!"
So, that's when I decided to go on another AP/Deo mission. There had to be something out there that I hadn't tried yet. Something!!!!
I don't know why it took as long as it did for my brain lightbulb to go on, but no matter, I'm glad it finally turned on. As I was browsing through the Wal-Mart AP/Deo section (taking my glorious time as if I were looking over loose diamonds), it dawned on me that all of the AP/Deos that I have used had an active ingredient of Aluminum zirconium trichlorhydrex Gly 20%. So instead of picking up another identical formulation, I decided to hunt down something with a different active ingredient entirely.
Next time you are choosing an AP/Deo, take a look at the label. Most are comprised of the active ingredient that I just listed above... although, the % may vary. The 'clinical strength' formulas are listed at 20% and I've seen the regular strength formulas listed anywhere from 15% to 19%.
After quite a bit of searching, I found something new to try: Mitchum Power Gel for Women. The active ingredient is Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrate 25%. This is a gel formula and it doesn't dry nearly as quickly as the majority of the other AP/Deos that I've used, BUT it leaves nary a trace of white and best of all... absolutely NO STINK!!!
A 1:30 long run in 80F with humidity... NO STINK!
50 minute tempo run in 78F with humidity followed by a stuffy, indoor 1 hour spin class... NO STINK!
Four hours of painting base boards in my hot, stuffy garage... NO STINK!
I've had Scott stuff his nose in my armpit for the past week to see if maybe it was just that my sniffer was off... but alas, even he could not detect any stink!
So maybe the Mitchum isn't for you and maybe Secret Clinical is... or vice versa. Point is, take a look at those ingredients, try something different! You may soon be singing sweet praises for your AP/Deo too!
TRAINING NEWS
Last week I created a great post about my 2010 schedule. I had some great comments too! I'm one of those folks who doesn't really like to post without including a picture for extra visual entertainment... so when I went back to fidget with a photo and some formatting, I screwed something up and *poof*, no more post.
Anyway, I'm not going to wax poetically as I did in my first post as the moment is now gone, so in summary:
1. I have only 3 triathlons on tap for 2010: 1 Oly, 2 Half Irons (see schedule in side bar)
2. Local running events will be sprinkled around the triathlons
3. Seasonal rest does a body (and mind) good. Last summer I moaned about never, ever doing another half... ever again! And now I am signed up for two more.
4. Goals are different this year. I have decided that I want more of a life outside of triathlon, so smashing PRs, etc... are now second thought. I just want to finish, stay fit, look great and have a lot of fun. No pressure, just gimme the finisher's medal!
5. New for 2010: A mid-season break during the summer. To hell with the Florida heat!
6. February marathon in 2011
7. Ironman Florida in 2011
OK, so there it all is in a nutshell. Definitely not as eloquent as my first post regarding my schedule, but...

15 comments:
I'm going to have to try that Mitchum stuff. I am currently using a Ban roll-on that has 25% of the Aluminum zirconium trichlorhydrex Gly...after that is gone I'll have to check out the stuff you like. My biggest issue isn't stink, it's sweating like a horse under my arms. Gross!
LOL! Oh, how I feel your pain. Unfortunately, I couldn't even tell ya if it stops mega-sweat or not since when I sweat, it pours out from everywhere... and obviously makes its way down to my pits! Everything about me is always soaked to the bone after a workout!
Interestingly enough, before I picked up the Mitchum, I saw the Ban (with the higher % that you mentioned) and even had it in my hand... and that's when the light bulb went off! LOL!!!
Hope you are doing GREAT, K!!!
I am cracking up over the stink. I don't recall you every 'stinking' when I was around you in Florida last Feb.
LOL, Cheryl! That's b/c you were always in FRONT of me (speedy!!!)... you didn't have to deal with the fallout! ;p
I've used Mitchum deodorant for years. I think in college they had a commercial that said "so effective you could skip a day". i don't know if it's true. But sold me on the deodorant. In one of my classes we had to introduce ourselves, tell what type of deodorant we used and why. I said "it's so effective you could skip a day" NOBODY else knew of the commercial. People still remember me for the deodorant I used and why.
About the "stink". When you stink, just lower your voice and look at the offended (hopefully a stranger) and say in your best manly voice "You got a problem dude?" Might be the answer in a tough situation.
My favorite smell produced by training is the distinct smell of ammonium that is produced by heavy training sessions. Getting that out of the bike jersey is really, really tough. I know this is off topic, but that WIN detergent is amazing stuff. I am not sure what it has that other detergents don't, but it has helped me be less stinky on my rides...
That rocks out! I will have to try it too but I wear lots of black clothes so most things are problematic for me.
Looks like a great season ahead for 2010. I tell ya, this was my year of balance outside of ironman and it was great. You'll love it too. I learned a lot and hope to apply it in 2010. Training can be too consuming. I actually like my husband.
DID YOU SAY IM in 2011?
:)
PS the stink? Crack me up!
Great, funny post. I've used Certain-Dri with some success. It has aluminum chloride 12%. The thing with this is that you apply at night, which I always forget, but when I do remember it works well and I am also a HUGE, stinky sweater extraordinaire.
I wondered what happened to that post. I read it on my itouch then wanted to comment later on my computer and it was gone! I'M in 2011?! Wow! Impressive.
As soon as I started reading your post I wondered if you had tried Mitchum and then I scrolled down and started laughing. I have discovered it about 4 months ago!
Fantastic stuff!
Congrats on your new discovery, I'm sure it will serve you well!
I've hugged you after a half marathon and never noticed you smellin'...lol. But there have been enough peeps I've passed or been passed by who were wayyyyyyyy smelly. I also sweat like mad. From head to toe! It's a miracle I can even stay hydrated!
I'll try the Mitchum just for the no white mess...that's what I hate more than anything!
I have a 15 miler for next Saturday. You wanna come????
The stink...LOL
Funny thing is I don't sweat so much. I remember in my spinning classes everyone else was losing water like a leaking cauldron, there were lakes around the other bikes. Mine? Perfectly dry.
Glad you found your thing now.
Happy Holidays.
killer goals for 2010; 2 HIMS?! i thought i was doing well with 2 Olys *sigh* look forward to following your training :)
Post a Comment