Tuesday, February 5, 2008

C25K Graduation & Offical Start to Tri Training

Today would technically start week 9 of the C25K program, but I am considering myself 'graduated'. I'm working around my hip/glute injury (whatever it may be) and I'm pretty much doing my own thing. In addition, this week marks the official start of my triathlon training.

I worried all day about my run today. I haven't run since last Thursday. I did a weight class on Friday and rested on Saturday and Sunday (a two-day rest... yahoo!). Yesterday I took an aerobics class, but tried to stay as low impact as I could. I planned to run slooooooowly today and that's exactly what I did. I maintained between an 11:18 & 11:34 min/mile during the entire 2.8 mile run and ran 90% on grass. The first mile felt good and then I felt a twitch around mile 1.2 and I stopped to do a stretch. A deep Eagle pose, with a crossed leg as opposed to a wrapped leg, works really well for this. By the time mile 2 came around, I was feeling stiffer still and stopped to do a quick Eagle again. I then ran the rest of the way. When I got home, I filled the jacuzzi with some cool water first and let the jets pound my hip, glutes, and lower back. Then I turned on some warm water and just soaked for a while. Things feel pretty good right now and I plan on sitting against the heating pad later.

Swimming news! Since my pool is too frigid (and slightly too small) to swim in this time of year, Scott and I made a quick trip to one of our county's public pools today. The majority of Florida's public pools are outdoors and I wasn't sure if this particular pool was heated or not. To my relief... it IS heated and for $2.50 a day or a $75 yearly pass, I can use the lap lanes whenever the pool is open. Yippeee! My pool problem is solved and my first pool workout in ages will take place this Thursday. At least I won't have to worry about my hip.

No comments: