Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wonderful Wednesday!

My body definitely feels recovered from Saturday's effort and as long as I'm not running, I don't feel any pain in my glute/hip.

I completed 4 miles on the elliptical yesterday and could have easily done 4 more. I've read in so many places that a good elliptical workout is equiv. to an easy run, but I'm sorry... running is much more difficult. Maybe it works out to be the same cardio wise (although I have my doubts about this), but perhaps b/c of the decreased impact it just feels easy. I don't know. I read somewhere out there that when runners use the elliptical to train that they should keep the resistance setting on the low side and focus on maintaining 180 or so steps per minute as this best simulates the leg turnover in running. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do or not, but it's all I have to go on right now.

So, the elliptical it is for me... at least for a while. I have an appt. with a Sports Med physician next week and hopefully we'll get to the bottom of whatever is bugging my 'bottom'. My trainer at the gym has someone that she uses in Sarasota and I guess he works on a lot of pro athletes. She's going to give me his name as well. She said he's AMAZING! He's probably also very expensive and I bet my insurance won't cover him. LOL!

Today was a mixed circuit + swimming day. I did a 60-minute circuit class at the gym (keeping all aerobic portions completely low impact) and then drove right over to the pool for a 1300 yard swim. I had a new gizmo with me today... my V-Day gift from Scott:

The Otterbox for Ipod Nano


This little gadget made a 30 minute swim feel like 10 minutes! The time flew by! My choice of music to swim to today... Queensryche! *bubbles underwater* "They're building Empire." Totally rad workout! Can't wait for Friday's swim. I think Friday will be a Warrant day!

Today's swim workout (with breaks that were a bit 'too' lengthy due to Otterbox adjustments):

Warm-Up:
50 free
50 free

Core:
100 free
100 pull
200 free
300 free
200 pull
100 kick
100 free

Cool-Down:
50 free
50 free

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH....I never heard of the Otter iPod!!! Very cool!!!

I'm dying to find out what the doc says about your glute. I pulled a groin muscle 6 weeks ago in yoga and it still bothers me. If I have to have an injury though, I'll take this one.

I can't believe you missed your door prize! I'd be so mad, I never win anything....LOL. If I were there I'd have grabbed them for you!

Saturday at 9am the NP YMCA is meeting on Venice Island, where the artistic pigs used to be) for a family fun run. Bobby and the kids are coming. I can only walk it because the marathon is a week away. I need to be careful not to over use my muscles, especially since I'm doing the Boca run Sunday.

Hope yopur glute's better quick!!!!!
Keep running!!!
Kim