After reading a gazillion articles on the web and comparing my signs/symptoms, I'm pretty sure that this hip/glute thing that's been bugging me is a piriformis problem.
Years ago, I actually had my license to practice Massag Therapy in the state of Florida. I let my licensure go b/c I had moved onto a different phase in my life and didn't think that paying the $$ to renew was really worth it. We learned about PS in massage school, but I never really dealt with it in practice. Most of the massages that I gave were 'fluff' spa massages for folks on vacation. I did remember what a pesky little muscle the piriformis can be and I was hoping with all of my heart that what I have going on was NOT piriformis related. I recalled it being quite a pesky injury.
I started using some tennis ball therapy to isolate trigger points today and WOW did I have a very sore spot in there. I just took some deep breaths and worked through the pain until the point began to relax. It could be all in my head, but things feel a little bit better already. If Piriformis Syndrome is truly what this is, then hopefully releasing the trigger points with the tennis ball will help to greatly improve things over the next few days. I think regular butt massages with the tennis ball (and the foam roller that I am going to purchase) will become part of daily life for me.
Today was another rest day. It should have been a bike day, but with my arse feeling the way that is does I just couldn't motivate. Tomorrow is a swim AND run day. I'm so excited about getting in the pool!
2 comments:
Hey Sherry,
Have you ever had accupuncture? 4 years ago I had a migraine that wouldn't go away. I was in the hospital for a week and they couldn't stop it. My husband took me out of there, straight to an accupuncturist and within 25 minutes the pain was GONE. I went from being unable to even open my eyes or stand up straight to being 100% pain free. I'm wondering if your glute pain is a tight muscle, if that would help you too??? It may be worth a try!
Hi
I have the MOTHER of all PS going on week 4. I've tried multiple acupuncture, PT, deep tissue massage, stretching specialist and trigger point injections. All provided a 24 hour relief and then BOOM, back to abnormal.
I cannot tell you the frustration and depression I feel. This WILL NOT go away. My next therapy will be the BINH therapy, my own invention.....BULLET IN THE HEAD THERAPY. Now THAT will work, but the side effects are hard to live with.
Post a Comment