Friday, January 15, 2010

Diagnosis: IT band syndrome

After a visit with the ortho yesterday and multiple x-rays later... I learned that I have beautiful knees with pleanty of cushion to destroy via concrete running for many years to come.

I also learned that, indeed, I have IT band syndrome.  Just as I suspected weeks ago.  Of course, self diagnosis these days is pretty easy.  Google.  Knee Pain.  Lateral.  Running.  Bingo!

The doc told me that my IT band isn't all that tight, but confirmed that I have point tenderness where the band inserts at the top of my tibia.  He suggested that I continue what I've been doing.  Foam rolling, icing, NSAIDs and brief runs every other day or every third day.

I had two pain free runs this week.  Both were a mere two miles and one was on the treadmill while the other was outside.  It's hard to hold back on the distance, especially when Scott is doing a lot of long runs to prep for Gasparilla, but I am being a VERY good girl.  My entire spring/early summer season depends on it. 

I've gotten myself back in the gym.  Strength training is taking place and that's somewhat of a miracle.  I'm actually enjoying all of the soreness!

Perhaps the biggest change that has occurred over the past 2-3 weeks or so is that I have completely cleaned up my diet.  I'm eating like a different person now and it feels amazing.

Down time due to injury gives a person a lot of time to reflect and I started thinking about why in the world I have not leaned out over the past two years (after my intial weight loss).  It all comes down to diet.  Scott and I have adopted the "abs are made in the kitchen" philosophy and we're sticking to it!  With the increase in training last year, I pretty much gave myself permission to eat... and not good things.  I'm talking about pizza, cookies, brownies.  Y'all know, right?  The 'ole "food is my reward" philosophy.  Well, even though I didn't gain any weight, I also didn't lose anything and in my opinion may have actually gained some fat in place of muscle.

What I never fully took into consideration last year was that during those 2 to 5 hour workouts, I was taking in fuel!  About 300 cals per hour for me.  Since just about every workout was aerobic (and not high intensity, high calorie burn short-course stuff), the net calorie burn at the end of the day wasn't as much as I was thinking that it was.  One slice of pizza might have been ok, but having 3 or 4 slices was going overboard!

So, my abs are going to be made in the kitchen this year.  If everything works out like it should, I may even post before (waaaay before, as in right before I started working out) and after pics!

12 comments:

Becca said...

I like that concept..."making your abs in the kitchen" :)

Molly said...

The best news is that it's what you thought and you've already been doing the right thing! I hope it clears up ASAP for you!!!

Ron said...

The best advise I ever received was eat to train and not train to eat. I now ask myself If I eat this how will it fuel me? Also, I would suggest some glut medius strengthening for that IT BAND. TFL (muscle) does too much work and the tendon is the ITB. Strength is the way to go! GREAT POST.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Yep,
I need to eat better. Too much travel. Arnie might catch me if I'm not careful... maybe Alli will work... (last resort)

Take care of yourself.. too many out there in blog land getting hurt.

Missy said...

Food as fuel, food as fuel, it's hard to remember sometimes but when I'm good about it, it works...I do love me some pizza and beer, though and NO not a healthy kind either. Grease and cheese!

teacherwoman said...

Glad you have a diagnosis and know what you need to do to help the healing process!

KimsRunning said...

They do say we are what we eat! You are a skinny mini...but I know what you mean, I feel fat when I eat bad stuff...lol. Not that it stops me.

Heal up that knee and let's go do that trail run!!! I LOVED it!!!!!

Toni said...

I have been thinking the same things lately as my weight slowly crept up a couple pounds during my highest running weeks. It's easy to think you have burned more calories then you have.

Regina said...

You are a better woman than I. You are resting and I am out running 90 minutes in the rain in 38˚F with a head cold and a sore throat...stupid. I'm paying for it today.

I am so on the same page about the diet thing. In fact, I just started reading "Racing Weight: How To Get Lean For Peak Performance", by Matt Fitzgerald (who else?). I've been slowly losing weight, but I'm still a ways away from my 'fighting' weight (and my old six pack that I haven't seen in 4 years), which is where I feel my fitest. Good luck to us both and I hope your ITB heals soon!

ShirleyPerly said...

Being always so worried about having enough calories to keep going and recover from all my workouts, I didn't lose any significant weight while doing even 2 irons last year!

But great to hear how good you feel after cleaning up your diet. My husband just started an eating clean diet and by osmosis, I seem to be eating cleaner too. We shall see how it impacts things this year...

Hope the IT band issue goes away soon!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Yeah For you! I am glad your IT band was diagnosed. I am a steadfast believer in massage to alleviate those issues before they become a problem!! Keep us updated on the abs made in the kitchen philosophy - you should take a picture before and after!!!

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed your post! ITBS is not fun at all (part of reason I am off the road myself at moment).

Loved your philosophy, good luck and hope you heal up quick. :0)