I won't go into the details of my sugar addiction, but let's just say that it is probably worse than the average 'Joe'. No, I don't drink regular soda... but well... okay, I will eat brownie mix straight out of the box (cake mix too). I use about 6 to 8 tsp. of sugar in my coffee/tea every morning. When a box mix isn't available, I'll make my own brownie powder using cocoa, sugar, milk and vanilla. Gagging, yet? I could go on. Sugar addiction? Oh, yes! Carbs... another killer. We need them to fuel us for our training, but my over-indulgence in cereal (straight out of the box) has probably lead to most of my surplus calorie days. Protein... well, he has basically been the kid in class who never gets noticed. All of my cereal indulgence ends up creating a protein deficit on many days.
The thing is... I've known that I how I eat is WRONG, but I've never really been motivated to fix it. Now that I have successfully managed a year of training and races, it feels like it's time to add the diet component to all of this.
So, I'm knocking out sugar. Not a complete knock-out, but no more brownie mix or sugary cereals. Right now I'm using Splenda in my coffee/tea, but I may resort to a 1/2 Splenda- 1/2 sugar scenario in the future. The Splenda just tastes like crap. Or, with a blessing, I'll get used to it. I'm trying to focus on whole grains, veggies and fruits for carbs (instead of cereals and wheat thins) and I've seriously upped my protein intake. Right now, my diet is pretty much balancing out to a 45:30:25 ratio at the end of the day. A longer training day like today (30 miles on the bike followed by a 2 mile brick run) has me even higher on the carbs... as it should be.
I'm trying not to look at this as a "diet" or as a "New Year's resolution" as I don't consider it to be either. For me, it's more like another component of my training: training my body to look at food as fuel.
Training Notes
This is my third Sunday of doing a long outdoor bike ride. Hallelujah! I see a habit in the making. The first Sunday was a 40 mile ride, last Sunday was a 20 mile "hard" ride followed by a 5K brick and today was a 30 mile easy ride followed by a 2 mile brick. Next weekend will probably just be another 40 miler. I'm already starting to see some HR changes. Sweet progress!
This Tuesday I visit Naples Cyclery for my bike fit (or for a new bike). I'm hoping it's a positive experience. I'm really tired of being the only person who's uncomfy on their bike.
The River, Roots and Ruts trail run is only 2 weeks away. I'm excited! I hope that I can stay injury free until then. Right now I have a pain on the top/side of my left foot where the toe meets the actual 'foot' (like where a bunion would form). It doesn't hurt to run and it's difficult for me to discern a sore spot when I manually press on it; however, there's definite pain there and I feel it when I walk now and then. Weird. I hope it doesn't manifest into something bad.

14 comments:
I love sugar too! Donuts, chocolate, sweets, sweets, sweets!
It's hard to do, but once you give it up, you won't miss it. Happy New Year.
I love Splenda, I'm sending you vibes through this post that you will too. Good luck with the "clean eating."
BTW, check out Tosca Reno on the web for great clean eating tips.
First off - You are kicking ASS on your workouts!!
Second off - I am RIGHT there with you on the sugar. Hello my name is Robin, I am 5'6" and weigh 126 lbs., and I need to give up the SUGAR!!! Maybe we can form a support group?? This stuff is hard to give up!
6 to 8 tsp of sugar in your coffee??? SHERRRRRYYYYY!!! Do you have any teeth????? Ha!!! I don't add sugar at all, just the french vanilla cream. OMG, I'm so worried about you. That's worse than my potato chip addiction!
You guys running Jan 17th Run For The Lions 5K? http://www.zoomersrun.com/
That's my next one.
Girl on Top & Maggs- Thanks for the support, guys! I'm intend to give new meaning to "Sugar Busters".
Shannon- Thanks for the link! I'm going to check it out. I do use Splenda... and quite a lot of it. For some reason, I can't hack the taste of it in my AM tea/coffee. Strange right? Hopefully I'll come around.
Robin- If we can form a support group... count me in! I need all the help that I can get!
Kim- LOL! The choppers are still there. Some capped, some not. ;p I'm a good brusher... I refuse to have gold ghetto teeth. In the meantime, if you see an explosion due South, it may be my sugar-aching brain! I'm all sluggish and full of 'fuzz' right now. I'm not sure about the 'Run for the Lions' on the 17th. I'm doing a 1/2 marathon relay on the 11th and then I'm thinking that I just might want to concentrate on some of my other events tha are getting closer. When's your next doctor's appt?
I HATE Splenda. My mom tries to make cakes and pies with it, and doesn't tell anyone, but I can tell everytime. It has a "fake" nasty aftertaste, ptooey!
Sugar is like a drug...and I have the sugary cereal addiction too! But like you, with being on a very specific training plan, I treat or "look at" at food as fuel for my training. It helps...but still...sugar is yummy and a hard addiction to kick! Good luck!!
Sherry, thanks for writing this post!! I successfully gave up caffeinated soda when I was in college - but can't give up Rootbeer, lol. And a funny fact is that Rootbeer isn't popular in Denmark and very hard to find there! Mac tries to surprise me w. some when I visit, but no luck!
Anyway, I'm trying to limit my chocolate & sweets intake... so this post was perfect inspiration for me. If you and your friend, Robin, start a support group - I'll join! :-)
I tend to be okay till I get around it. If someone has it at work, I have to do my best to avoid their office
I dont remember the sweetener I use, but I think it is from the agave plant. I will have to look at the box when I get to work. I like the taste better then splenda
Happy New Year, Sherry! Best of luck with the diet modification. I'm sure you'll do well with it... you're a determined spitfire! ;) Blessings to you in 2009!
We might have been separated at birth on the sugar thing! Good luck with the new plan :)
I remember not loving Splenda at first but you DO get used to it. I only use it in my coffee HAHA I WISH I could kick the sugar habit. Good luck chica!!
hey sher! i am also a faithful disciple at the house of sugar. but about a year and a half ago i decided to cut a lot of it out. my main weak spot is candy, so i strated limiting myself to just the weekends and holidays. now i am down to just sundays. i still love it so much that i can't just let myself have it all the time - cause i can't stop once i start! it took me awhile for it to feel normal not to eat candy every day, but now i'm fine. the best part is that once i cut all that sugar out i saw a real improvement in my running times! this was paired with a strength training program i was doing, but i really think cutting the sugar made a huge difference. so hang in there, it is worth it!!
Post a Comment