Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Two "break-in" miles on the new Newtons

Newton Motion Stability Trainer

I have to be honest. I could barely contain myself all day. I couldn't wait for evening to come so that I could get busy with my interval run and my new Newtons. The plan was to run the first 2 miles in the Newtons (which would consist of a warm-up mile and two or three 60-second intervals) and then switch back to my Mizuno Wave Inspires. Newton Running stresses a gentle break-in period of 25 to 30 miles and after reading about complaints of sore calves, I certainly wasn't going to try to be a hero and do my entire run in the new kicks.

Mile 0 to 0.5 impressions: WOW! So this is what it feels like to run off of my forefoot! I have never been a heavy heel striker, but I obviously have not been landing anywhere near my forefoot. When I land on my heel in a pair of Newtons, I know it. Old stride: mid-foot/light heel; Newton stride: forefoot (I wouldn't even consider it mid-foot, it's forefoot). I find myself constantly looking down at my feet... look at how my foot lifts off the ground in the Newtons! I feel like a sprinter!

Mile 0.5 to 1 impressions: I feel speedy! Yes, I do! Perhaps it's a placebo effect, but wait... my warm-up mile was under 10 minutes? Unusual. And my heart rate, it just wouldn't budge from the mid-130's. I'm going a wee bit faster during my warm-up, yet working less. Hmmm... are those my calves I'm feeling? Yep! I read about this. It's normal. I'll roll 'em out on the foam roller later.

Mile 1 to 2 impressions: I'm ready for the first couple of speedburst intervals. It seems like the faster I go, the more natural the Newtons feel. It's like there's a trampoline under my forefoot! I feel springy, light... fast! I'm supposed to get my HR above 180 during the intervals and I'm having a very difficult time getting it there tonight. Feeling the calves more and more... almost time to change shoes.

Mile 2 to 4.5 impressions (in Mizuno Inspires): I'm sad to take off the Newtons. My calves are fatigued and I know that I really need to take them off, but I don't want to. That light, springy feeling is intoxicating! I felt like I was working less the entire time, yet I was rolling off faster splits. I reluctantly put on my old Mizuno Inspires and right away I want to heel strike. I try to get back up on my forefoot. It can be done, but it doesn't come as naturally without the Newtons as I have no lugs there to remind me. I run the next couple of miles using a mix of my old gait and my new Newton gait. I make sure to stay up on my forefoot during all of the speedburst intervals. I have no problem reaching 184 bpm now. Calves are still screaming... but I remind myself that that's what foam rollers are for. I notice that my gait is much LOUDER without the Newtons. Clunkity, clunk... you know 'em... those heel striking runners who roar up behind you in a race. With Newtons... it's stealth mode!

Post-run impressions: My calves are sore, there's no doubt about it. I'm a bit worried about how this soreness will affect the rest of the week's training. I mosey into the shower and let the warm water loosen things up a bit; immediately afterwards, I roll my calves out on the foam roller. Le sigh... So when do I run again??? Eager to put the Newtons back on, despite the protest of my calves!

The morning after: Who are these wimps that moan about their calves the next day? Put up your dukes! Y'all didn't use your foam roller did ya? ;p Okay, my body doesn't recover that quickly. Yes, calves are tres tight this morning. There's no pain, they're just tight. My next run is tomorrow and I'm quite sure that I'll be fine. Aside from the calf muscles, all is perfectly well. My feet feel fine (the Newtons have great cushioning), both achilles feel fine, hips feel fine...

The Newton plan: I plan to continue to break-into my Newtons mile by mile. My long run is tomorrow and it should be about 10 miles. I'll use the Newtons for the first 2 or 3 miles and then change out to my Kayanos. I plan on doing this rotation until I at least reach 25 to 30 Newton miles... or until my calves figure out that there is no need to be sore anymore.

I'm still trying to convince myself that it's somehow 'ok' that I paid $174 for a pair of running shoes. I used to laugh at women who bought $400 purses... and here I am with an uber-expensive pair of running shoes that look like they are straight out of neon 1983 (which I happen to like)! The really bad thing is I'm already trying to justify a pair of the racers... hook, line and sinker, baby!

6 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Aw, stop worrying about the price! The economy needs your money. Way to prime the pump, Sherry.

(I am trying SO hard not to take "prime the pump" into NC-17 territory ...)

Thanks for not told-you-so lecturing me about the noisy knees. "Lefty" is still complaining at me, but I'm not on speaking term with him. I've demote him from "joint" to "lump of useless cartilage". It's my body. I can do that.

Good luck with you new eleventy billion dollar sneakers.

(STILL trying to resist that "Prime the pump" lure ...)

Gotta Run..... said...

LOVE you review and how you broke it down. It was both funny yet very informative!! Still that is a $$ shoe. But are we not worth it?!?!!!

Sherry said...

No kidding guys! Uber-expensive shoes...

Honestly, I think that triathletes are single-handedly keeping the economy going right now.

One Meeeeellion Dollars... Mwahahahaha!

teacherwoman said...

LOL. Great post! I am jealous of your sore calves... maybe I haven't been pushing myself enough lately!

Anonymous said...

sher you should not feel one iota of guilt about the shoes. think of all the things we buy that don't give us nearly the amount of happiness and joy that running shoes do. plus, you work hard and as long as we can afford these things, you should def bask in the happiness that a pair of newtons are bringing to your life!

Kevin said...

If they prevent future injuries and make you speedier, definitely worth the cash