The morning started out COLD! It was about 45F at race time with some gusty winds a blowing. The temp was similar to the Turkey Trot, but with the windchill factored in... brrrr-a-licious! This was not a race for heat-pampered Florida wimps!
Sondra, Jeff and Scott huddled for warmth before the start of the race.
The race was a teeny one, with only 68 people participating. There are good elements and bad elements about small races. On the one hand, you don't get trampled on at the start AND you don't have to wait a few minutes after the gun goes off to actually get to the start. Of course, smaller races also increase your chance of getting some hardware. On the other hand, once people spread out, you often feel like you're running all alone and without the thrill of the chase, PRs tend not to happen. This particular race started without a hitch and just as I anticipated, everyone was fairly spread out by mile marker 1.
Kim, a resident blogger, has a forefoot landing that most folks would be envious of, and although she's been plagued with injuries for the past few months she was a real trooper at this race! Her leg hurt her a few times during the run, but she never gave up. Definitely stop by her blog to read her full race report.
My best friend Sondra is not only the sweetest girl you could ever hope to meet, I guarantee you that she's also one of the most dedicated athlete's out there. Drive and determination come second nature to her. Sondra finished the race in 29:24. She may have been a wee bit disappointed in her time, but she completely gutted it out in ugly, cold conditions... and smiled the entire time!
And in the end... everyone walked away with some hardware! Kim had gone home for a training run and missed receiving her gold medal for the 40 -49 age group; but we stuck around to find out that both Scott & Sondra would be taking home bronze medals for their efforts. I'm SO proud of you both! YAY!
6 comments:
YAY for Scott and Sondra!! The elements were crazy, huh?? My face was frozen. It was fantastic to see you guys, I wish I could have been there for their medals!
I know what you mean about watching a race when injury keeps us from running it. I had to sit out a 10K in Sept. I made sure I wore sandals so I wouldn't try to run it anyway....LOL. I too found out I LOVE seeing my friends cross the finish line! And the photo ops are a major bonus!
OMG...I have no shape to my legs. DRAT!
45 degrees and you've got those Nanook boots on? What happened to that Joisey girl inside of you?
Congrats to all on the great hardware wins.
I vastly prefer smaller races.
Good news about your recovery. Take it slow and easy, Sister!
ow I do love some bling...and to get one at a 5k is even better!!
good news about your 2 (3) miles. Ease back into it and you will be PERFECT!!!
I am SO gonna take you up on that transition help. Right after I learn how to swim all the way across the pool. HA!
My coach helped me put a training schedule together last night. I'm excited!!!
You always know what I mean when I get all sentimental (like a woman) on my blog....lol
*Hugs*
Hi Sherry -
I'm glad you're easing back and even more excited about your test run going well. I love following your blog to give me ideas for my training... thank you!
Good job to Scott and your friends. It was funny to read 45 degrees being cold... we would have loved to have that temp in DC for Jingle All The Way. It was low 30s and prob lower considering the windchill. :-)
I have just recently found out how fun it can be to take a race off to cheer on friends instead. It's awesome! It sounds like you (and your friends!) had a great time, too.
Congrats on the gentle return to running :)
Post a Comment