Monday, December 22, 2008

Another Cervelo in the house!

My sweetie finally has his TT bike!

When Scott unexpectedly fell nearly 40' while training for a competition completely unrelated to triathlon last April, his training for the year took an obvious turn. After spending 4 days in ICU and a full week in the hospital, recovery, rehab and maybe a few short road races would be the only things that the rest of 2008 would consist of. His hopes of doing some tris with me were pretty much crushed and until all of his injuries were 100% healed (broken ribs, punctured lung, lacerated liver) he really couldn't safely do anything more than swim for quite a while.

So, he spent the remainder of 2008 driving me to and from all of my races. Cheering me on, taking lots of pictures... and never, ever complaining about it; although I know that he wished he could be out there with me.

By mid-summer he had started running and biking again. Bits and pieces at a time; I could see that 'spark' of his returning. He still longed to do a tri before the end of the year, but we all knew that it probably wasn't going to be possible. So he now has his sight set on a successful (and injury free) 2009.

Scott loves to ride. I'm fairly certain that the bike leg of the triathlon is his favorite. He rocks it on his road bike and rides his mountain bike like he's a 12-year-old boy... fearless! I'm envious of his bike handling skills. Ever since we started looking for my tri bike, he's been itching to get on one himself. However, since he knew that nothing would be on the horizon for him until Spring 2009, we kept putting the idea of a TT bike for him on the back burner.

Well, the burner was officially turned off last week when the STEAL of a lifetime was found on EBay. A brand new 2007 Cervelo P3C for nearly 1/2 the cost of what a new '09 would be. Brand, spankin' NEW! I surprised Scott with the bike and he nearly jumped out of his skin. Like a kid at Christmas! It was beautiful!

Last Thursday we took Scott and the bike (who is now known as 'Merlin') down to Naples Cyclery and had a 3D fit completed. Um.. wow! A four-hour bike fit! Talk about comprehensive! I think I may get my booty down there as well. So Scott is all set up on his gorgeous new P3C. It's definitely a slack-ish set up and P3C purists would probably mock the spacers and angled stem... but he's comfy (which is always most important) and he'll grow into the bike as his overall flexibility increases and his right side (accident side) continues to strengthen. I think he looks fantastic on it and after the year that he has had, he totally deserves his mack-daddy bike! Enjoy it, baby!!! Love YOU!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Your a great wife!

Sara said...

Wow what a great surprise!! The two of you sound very supportive of each other! I'm excited for you to have your hubby be able to train and race with you!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Yikes! Poor Scott! I never knew about this!

Way to brighten his spirits, sister! I hope you both have some great competitions together.

I'm glad to hear he's nearing 100%. That must've been a trying time for you both,

Ouch!

Rick said...

What a sweetie you are! So happy for Scott to be able to get back at it too! Have a Merry Christmas guys!

teacherwoman said...

That is so cool that Scott got his bike! 2009 will be great for the both of you! :)

Anonymous said...

4 HR BIKE FIT? wow - thats long. what 3D fit tool does Naples use that takes 4 hrs!!

Sherry said...

Anonymous-

LOL! Yeah.. it was long. They actually state that the fit takes 3 to 3.5 hours. We chatted a lot though; hence, the extended amount of time.

There are basically 3 components to the fit. It starts with a question/answer session about goals, injury history, etc... then moves on to a biofeedback session that includes looking for leg length discrepensies, hip hikes, foot/ankle tendencies, hamstring/quad tightness, etc... Lots of measurements are taken during this time (you're even stretched out on a massage table at one point) and you are nowhere near the bike.

When you're finally put on the bike, there's videotaping and analysis of angles using computer imaging software, etc... things are adjusted, readjsted, shimmed (if needed), etc... and then retaped and reanalyzed.

It's the most comprehensive fit that the shop offers, as you can see. You can opt for two other fits that aren't as comprehensive. Adjustments and refits (say, if you want a more agressive position) are free for a year.

I'd recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat!

Anonymous said...

Sherry, the love you have for Scott (and vice versa I am sure) makes my heart warm and happy! You guys are the cutest! Merry Christmas!

Kevin said...

Sweet bike. When I got my Tri bike, they set me up with an angled stem and spacers also . I recently switched to the straight stem. I am hoping the new more aero position will work for me