I have secretly been waiting for December 10th to arrive... just so I could create this post. :o)
It was exactly one year ago today that I completed Week 1, Day 1 of the 'Couch to 5K' get-off-your-butt running program. I spent a little bit of time earlier in the week reading over my blog entries from those first few months and smiling proudly. The girl writing at the time, is not the same girl who is writing now. I've accomplished so much in the past year. I've had unexpected high moments and some 'I told ya so' low moments; however, nothing... and I mean nothing... is more apparent than the fact that I have achieved (heck, surpassed) every goal that I set for myself.
Today is the day that I pat myself on the back for a job well done. LOL! I deserve it.
The following is a breakdown of many of my achievements over the past year. I think that everyone reading this blog right now should take the time to do something like this today.. even if it's not your running anny. In the midst of injuries and self-doubt about our performance capabilities, it certainly goes a loooong way to boost the confidence.
I had only three goals when I first started the C25K program on December 10, 2007:
- Run and finish a 5K race (Komen Race for the Cure) in about 30 minutes by March of 2008
- Raise $200 for the above race in honor of my late mother-in-law and in support of my grandmother
- Complete a sprint triathlon sometime during fall/winter 2008
The following is what I actually ended up accomplishing:
- Completed the above mentioned March '08 Komen Race for the Cure 5K in 28:19 and went on to drop my 5K time to 23:58 by November 2008.
- Raised more than $1,000 in remembrance of my mother-in-law and grandmother for Komen Race for the Cure
- Completed three sprint triathlons and one Olympic distance triathlon
- Completed a 10K road race in 54:27
- Ran an easy 10 miles at a 9:54 pace and felt good the entire time
- Brought home 4 age group awards (2 for sprint tris and 2 for 5K runs)
- Ran a total of 701 miles, swam 60.1 miles and cycled 1,575 miles.
- Shared the wonderful sport of triathlon with my amazing husband and best bud, Sondra... both of whom now love the sport equally as much.
- Rekindled an old HS friendship with the amazing Chris K. and hope to do a race with her in 2009.
- Uncovered a wonderful group of people residing in Blogland and really hope to meet each and every one of them someday. Thank you all SO much for your support.
- Lost about 5 pounds of pure fat! I'm still a work in progress, but I do have some pics to share one of these days.
- Nearly one year after I took my very first 'running' steps, I have decided to complete a marathon.
I really could go on and on with the list. Running and triathlon has given me SO much this year... way more than I could ever give to it. There had been something missing in my life for a very long time. I always had a wonderful marriage and wonderful family... yet, I knew that there was something 'else' out there. That something was endurance sports and I thank the Lord every day that it's not missing from my life anymore. :o)

6 comments:
Being healthy and sctive is a true gift! One I am also very thankful for.
Looking forward to your 2009 year.
Yay you, Sherry!
You left one thing off yer list: At one point, for a very short period, I noticed, you morphed into a countrified version of yourself, "Sherry Lynn". Did you wear Daisy Duke cut-offs during that period and hang around with them Duke Boys, outsmarting Boss Hogg and sech-like?
But Joisey Sherry won out and let's hope Evil Twin "Sherry Lynn" has been banished for good!
(Joke)
I'm still hoping you take the Shave your 5k title because you kicked some real @$$ in less than a year! That shave probably caused quite a few nicks and some blood loss, I'm sure.
You go, sister!
YAY!!! What a fabulous year it has been!
GQ...
I can't even believe you noticed the 'Sherry Lynn'. Dude... are you sure that you aren't former CIA or something? LOL!
I actually 'use' Sherry Lynn for most everything else and thought I would apply it to blogland. It didn't look right when I posted comments and I didn't want to confuse my blog buddies... so I removed it. It was for such a short amount of time that you are probably the only one who noticed! LMAO! You obviously have super spectacles... either that or you truly are former CIA!
I also noticed the Sherry Lynn! Ha!! My oldest daughter is Kerri Lynn! She's not the one bestowing a precious Grand baby on us though, that would be Kirstin. Yes, we're still kinda freakin'.
I am so very proud of your accomplishments Sherry. You are fantastic and I'm proud to know you (in real life too!!)
I cannot believe it's been a YEAR!!!!
Huggies!!!!
Happy Anniversary! Congrats on a year of running and racing. It's awesome you met your goals. Do you have new ones for 2009?
Post a Comment