Saturday, December 6, 2008

2009: The Year of the Run

Longtime readers of my blog will recall just how much I have whimpered about my running performance all year. For those who may be new to my blog (seriously, are there even more than 4 or 5 people out there who actually read this?) let me catch you up to speed.

Up until just about a year ago (December 10, 2007 to be exact) I had never ran. Of course there are exceptions like the one or two times that I ran with my two best friends in high school, the 'forced' Presidential fitness evals in gym class, the 7 weeks of Air Force Basic Training. You get the picture, right? The gist is that I never ran 'seriously'. Even in basic training, if we put in 8 miles per week of running that would be a lot. We did a lot of marching, not a lot of running. So what athletics did I participate in prior to December 10th... well, swimming!

So why then was I surprised to discover that running was the weakest leg of my triathlon game. I mean seriously, this should not have surprised me in the least... except for the fact that during the months of December '07 through March '08 (original period of actually building up some semblance of a run) I fell in LOVE with running! When I did my first triathlon in May and my second in July, I just couldn't come to terms with 'why' the leg that I loved to train for so much was also my greatest nemesis. This trend continued right through to the end of triathlon season where my run literally pooped out during the last 1.5 miles of MiamiMan.

I have learned from lots of friendly tri folks out there that 'few' people are natural born runners. Most of us out there have to work at it and unlike the other two disciplines in triathlon, it seems like many of us have to work at it harder than anything else simply b/c it follows a ton of already completely hard work (swim & bike). This seems to be my problem... muscular endurance. Results have shown that I actually do run pretty well in stand-alone events, yet fall flat in tris. I think it's b/c I just never really took the time to build up a strong running base... and honestly, how could I? It was only my first year of triathlon.

Enter 2009... new year, new outlook, fresh approach.

For me, 2009 is going to be a run focused year. I love triathlons, but I love running even more and I want to take the time to develop my running so that I can actually enjoy it during a tri. Knowing myself well and that I don't necessarily multi-task as well as the next guy, I know that in order for me to accomplish this goal I need to make running my priority. I am excited about this.

In an earlier post I listed my prelim 2009 race schedule. It's basically run focused and peppered with sprint tris, culminating with MiamiMan International on November 8th. What I didn't list (simply b/c I'm still pondering it) is the possibility of a late November marathon. Thanksgiving falls on November 26 in 2009, the Philadelphia Marathon is scheduled for November 22nd. We have family up in NJ that we would love to spend the holidays with... sounds about perfect, right?

In a nutshell, that's how I envision 2009. I'm super excited about it. I'm not betting that all of this running will turn me into super-runner (actually, I'm quite certain that it will not), but hopefully it will increase my running capacity and more importantly, boost my running confidence.

So, Chris K... if I sign up for Philly, are you IN???

10 comments:

solarpowered said...

Do Philly! I did it last year (did the half this year) -- and I live just over the BF Bridge on the Jersey side. :) It's not as flat as they say, but I enjoyed the marathon!

Vertical Man said...

Hi! Great blog and good luck with your running. I envy your 49 degree Turkey Trot! I've added your blog to my blogroll. Hope you don't mind. Best regards.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hey, sister! I hear you on the running. I don't do tris, but I ran a 5k race today after being off running for, essentially, 18 days because of my knee. It's incredible how out-of-shape-to-run you can get in just 18 days.

How did I do? Did I shave my 5k? You'll just have to wait for my post, sister!

Good luck on the marathon. I know I'll never do one. I may yet do a half, but Teh 'Bride would kill me if I ever seriously talked about doing a full marathon.

I read your blog, sister! Surely that counts for something.

You are totally gonna kick @$$ in this Shave Your 5K challenge with your last 5k run! Since I can't win it, I'm pulling for you. I'm still amazed at what you accomplished.

Kevin said...

Sounds like a great plan. I suspect you will make great progress this year

Rachel said...

I enjoyed reading your 2009 outlook on running.. very inspiring! It's amazing how addicting running can become.... I'm so glad I joined CCFA Team Challenge and found this new hobby.

I'm sure you'll do awesome in 2009 w. your running... you're too focused not to, really. And your accomplishments this year in 2008 are definitely a great foundation for "running" into 2009.

Shannon said...

I DO follow your blog and I think you'll rock in 09'
I'm doing 4 races in 09' and looking to improve my times as well.

teacherwoman said...

Great post! I Can't wait to start looking over my plans, races, and goals for 2009 and get them up and posted in blogland!!

Maggs said...

Most swimmers I know turn themselves into great runners after some focus. And if you have a good run in a tri, you tend to forget anything else that happened and end up having a good race. Good luck with the running!

Anonymous said...

You should def do Philly!! It was such a great experience for me a few yrs ago - interesting course with lots to look at, fantastic crowd support, perfect marathon temps. It now starts with a half, which it did not do the yr I did it, and some people complain how crowded it is at the start, but that hardly seems a reason not to run it. and maybe with all the complaints they will change that. I am not sure that I will do it - I am currently shopping around for a fall marathon and since variety is the spice of life I am looking elsewhere. BUT you can count on me to be your # 1 cheerleader and supporter on the big day!!

Anonymous said...

Oh and how proud am I of your newly acquired love of running. It's good stuff, right??!