After only 1 swim since MiamiMan at the beginning of November, I finally hopped back in the pool yesterday. It was actually a 'forced' swim b/c I had to test out my new T1 First Wave Pullover, but I did end up swimming an easy 500 yards. I was honestly worried that I was going to completely die after swimming just 50 yards, so I'm super glad that I haven't lost all of my swimming fitness. I've committed myself to get in 2 days a week again. One day of endurance + one day focused on speed. I can't seem to muster up more than that for the swim.
Bike Fit Saga
So I had my mack daddy bike fitting at Naples Cyclery last week. I'm much more stretched out now which has eliminated that scrunchy feeling. I also have a lot more going on with the right side of my body than I knew. It's difficult to describe, but my skeleton is sort of rotated slightly on it's axis to where my right hip sticks out further than my left hip. It causes my right knee to bend slightly inward towards the top tube during my pedal stroke AND it also appears to be the cause of my discomfort in my adductors on my left side. Anyway, we got my torso/body comfy, but on my ride this past weekend my legs (especially my left thigh) was still screaming. It seems the minute that I close the angle between my hips and thighs (aka- drop into an aero position) my left leg crys for help. I admit to being very disgruntled yesterday. My fitter said that I may have to take up a very slack position on the tri bike. My thought about this is, "what's the point? I might as well ride a road bike!" So... stay tuned for the continuation of this saga.
Calorie Counting
... is a dead dog! I gained 1 pound this week. Blah! It appears that I have given up my sugar and my cereal in order to gain weight. Whatever. My body appears to like the weight that it's at. After the blogland weight challenge is over, I'm thinking about throwing out the scale (or at least burying it in the back yard) and just eating like a non-obsessive person/athlete would eat.
River, Roots & Ruts Trail Run- 1/2 Marathon Relay
Sondra and I have entered this weekend's RRR Trail Run as a 1/2 marathon relay team. This should be quite an adventure since neither of us has ever done any trail running! Despite that fact, I am SO looking forward to this event. I anticipate that it will be really nice doing something 'different'.
Notable milestones for the past week:
- My long run this past week reached 11 miles (plus I walked another 0.9 mile afterwards in order to get back to the starting point). The last mile of these long runs is always so freakin' painful. How do people do this stuff for 26.2???
- I reached the 25 miles-per-week mark for the first time ever- topping out at 26.1! Yay! A true running milestone!

7 comments:
Hey you!! You ever try a chiropractor?? They work wonders on aligning the spine! I know 2 awesome chiros if you need one.
I can't get into the pool either. I guess my fear hasn't totally disappeared yet.
Good luck this weekend!! Trails tire me out. Between the soft ground and having to concentrate even more on landing, it interferes with my lala-land type of blissfulness I get on flat surfaces. The views keep grabbing my attention away too...lol
I checked into some Master programs today. Hoping to hit the water this month.
So glad to hear that you decided about the shoes. The wrong shoe can lead to injury... but you are a smart girl so that will not happen.
Cals... I have been more watchful about the sugar and have dropped a few pounds. Give it time and your body will respond.
Glad to hear you got back into the pool! :)
Good job getting back into the pool. Im sorry to hear the newtons didnt work for you. That race sounds like fun
I hope you manage to get your bike set up properly for you! It does make a huge difference. I went to 4 different places before I got mine to feel comfortable. And then 3 weeks later got a new bike anyway???
I'm in the same boat with the pool. Just started back with masters. Hard...but fun too.
I swear by a good bike fitting. Makes a HUGE difference.
I'm wary of the Newtons. Unless you're biomechanically perfect (who is?), they can really hurt you.
Good luck on your relay! Sounds like fun. Congrats on reaching 11 miles for your long runs. Keep at 'em. They get easier. Once you can run a half mara distance on a weekly basis, you'll know you're ready to increase your threshold.
Good Luck w/ relay this wkend & good job with reaching 11 miles! The HM Relay sounds cool... look fwd to reading about your experience.
Post a Comment