
After writing my post yesterday I set out to read more about the Furman Institute of Running & Scientific Training (FIRST) program. Had to stop at Staples to pick up some supplies for work later that afternoon... and well, 'Books A Million' is right next door. I figured that they probably wouldn't have the FIRST book, but to my surprise they did!
I read through the foreword and couldn't wait to get home to start reading. I could not put that book down and finished the whole thing by this morning. This program sounds like the program of my dreams! It should help me balance my training much better than what I've been doing and it's certainly going to push me beyond the comfort zone that I've created. The science and research (and results) behind the program leaves me feeling very confident that results will be produced.
In a nutshell, I will have three quality (aka intense) run workouts per week. No more, no less and they are never run back-to-back. The FIRST program also requires 2 days of mandatory cross-training. This is a no-brainer for me since I have to swim and cycle anyway. I'll cross-train on the days that don't run. Two strength training sessions per week are also recommended. I already know that I need to do more of these.
The three key running workouts are comprised of the following:
Key workout 1: Track repeats
Key workout 2: Tempo run
Key workout 3: Long run (at long tempo pace)
Pace for each workout is based upon most recent 5K finish and then calculated to fit the program that you need it for (i.e- 5k, 10k, half-mar, marathon). The last 5K that I ran all-out in training (and that wasn't attached to a triathlon) was in May and I finished in 28:03. So, this is the time that I'm using and I'm applying it to the FIRST 10K training program (to prepare for my Oly tri in November). I run a 5K race in two weeks. If my time changes, I'll adjust the calculations. However for now, based on the 28:03 time and the charts in the book, this is what I've come up with for the first week of the program:
Key Workout #1- Track Repeats
10-20 minute warm-up
8x400m w/ 400m rest interval (400m pace = 2:05 or 8:23 min/mile)
10-20 minute cool down
Key Workout #2- Tempo run
1 mile warm-up
3 miles at short-tempo pace (9:18 min/mile)
1 mile cool down
Key Workout #3- Long run
6 miles at long-tempo pace (9:48 min/mile)
The only run that scares me a bit is run #2... the tempo run. I've done a 5 miler at a pace very close to workout #3 and I'm confident that with some pushing I can hold an 8:23 min/mile for 400m, but that 3 miles at 9:18 for the tempo scares me a bit. Theoretically, I should be able to do it since my last 5K race pace was faster than that. Still, I'm sure it will be an effort.
All of this being said, I'm SUPER excited about the challenge and about the much needed training organization that I'm going to gain while following this plan. Limiting my runs to three per week frees up my time to devote extra attention to the bike and swim. I have really neglected these areas the past few months b/c I've been so focused on my running.
So, change is good! I'm excited! I feel inspired and refreshed!
4 comments:
Sounds like a great plan. FIRST has lots of great stuff on their website too. I plan on using their 3-day plan when I do my marathon training after I finish my 70.3
I've been a big believer in the FIRST plan for a while now. I think you'll see great results from it.
I have heard so much about that book! Let me know how you do with it. I wish I had half of your ambition....I'm so tired these days!!! The training project is keeping me on top of things though!!
I read "4 months To A 4 Hour Marathon" in one sitting too. I didn't learn anything my coach hadn't already told me, but the plan in it seemed good. I think I'll peek at it again!!!!!
I wish we lived a little closer, we'd have a blast!!
See you at the 5K!!! YAY!!!!!
Hey, the word verification has the word "jog" in it! Someone's trying to tell me something....lol
Change IS good! Glad to hear you are excited about this! I think you will be happy with it and actually enjoy it!
Post a Comment