Don't get me wrong, 'Joe' is usually eager to hear more about my training and/or shower me with praise for what he considers to be something he could 'never do'. But then he says it... 50% of the time, the question comes out of his mouth....
The conversation usually goes something like this:
Joe: So what did you do this past weekend?
Sherry: Oh, I did the 'Your Big Backyard' triathlon over in Oldpeopleville.
Joe: Wow, really?!?!
Sherry: Yeah, had a lot of fun!
(and then Joe says it....)
Joe: Was it a full triathlon?
ARGH!! EGADS!! ROOOOOAAARRRR!!!!
Nothing seems to bring out the beast in me these days more than that question. The first few times it was asked, I was slightly taken aback, but smiled and said, "well, it was a sprint distance." Lately, however, I've just been answering, "Yes." After all, is there really any other kind of full triathlon other than one with three legs???
Don't get me wrong... I'm not stupid. I know what Joe is really asking, he's just not familiar with the tri-language. Joe really wants to know if I did an Ironman like he's seen on television. I guess at that point, what I really 'should' do is explain the variety of race distances and that they are all triathlons AND the approach to competing in each is very different. One distance is not necessarily 'better' than the other. However, Joe probably wouldn't quite 'get it' anyway.
The growing popularity of triathlon is making the sport more accessible to people everywhere (which is wonderful) and sprint triathlons are usually the most popular choice for newbie triathletes and for those weekend warriors who just want to finish a tri with a bunch of their gal/guy pals or office mates. For others, like myself, the sprint tri is much more than that. I've moved beyond just wanting to finish... I want to race it! Set personal records, give the girl (or guy) next to me a run for her money, be an age group contender. I want all of those things, so I train specifically for that. Just like, I suppose, any other competitive triathlete would train for their race distance du jour. Choosing to compete (i.e race) in short course events (sprints and olympics) doesn't make one 'less' of a triathlete; just like competing in an iron distance doesn't make that athlete a 'better' triathlete than someone who races shorter distances. From my limited experience, I've learned that the approach to these races is SO different... you just really can't compare them.
In a nutshell... as non-pros (age-group plaques and finisher medals don't count as a payday), we are ALL triathletes no matter what distance we choose to compete at. In addition, moving up the distance ladder is not the natural progression for every triathlete. I'm excited about my first olympic distance race and I will probably do the Florida 70.3 within the next 2 years, but I have absolutely no desire to compete in an Ironman distance. It's not that I doubt my ability to handle the distance with the proper training, it's just that the 'type' of training required is so vastly different than what I'm interested in. I like the speed of short course events (and that includes running road races). In time, my aging body may begin to prefer long course events as my fast twitch muscle fibers fly the coop, but for now I consider myself a competitive, short-course full-blown triathlete who competes in 'full' triathlons! In the words of the good and wise Forrest Gump... that's all I have to say about that.
Alas... some training updates.
I've completed the first two workouts in the FIRST 10k program and I have to say, I think I'm in love. I love the structure and I love how I 'feel' after a workout (like I've actually done something). The workouts were challenging (way more challenging than I've been doing on my own), yet they were doable. It could just be psychological, but I already feel 'less' tired. That's a great thing!!! More updates to come...
I mentioned Total Immersion above for a reason. I plan on signing up for their weekend freestyle course in Clermont this September. DH is on ball with it as my early BDay gift and of course, he'll benefit from what I learn. So it's win-win for both of us. Very excited about the prospect of becoming a 'slippery' swimmer.
ETA: Speaking of swimming... swim training today was cut short by... a floater! No, not a body... but a brown, Mr.Hanky-type floater! Ack! Of course, I was in the middle of doing some speed work and was concentrating on that, so I never heard the initial 'evacuate the pool' whistle. I ended up being the last person out of the pool! Double ack! Pool was to remain closed for testing for two hours. Friday was to be my rest day, but I'm taking it today and will make-up the swim on Friday. Well, at least the afternoon was adventurous! Let's hope the chlorine that was already in the pool was a strong batch!
7 comments:
You know, I don't know what is worse, being asked if you did a "full" triathlon, or being asked WHY you did a triathlon. I get that question a lot. I never really want to talk about my training (whether it is for a triathlon, or other 5K, 10K, or half marathon race) with those who don't do the same. I always get questioned as to why I would do that, am I crazy, what is wrong with me, you're going to hurt yourself...etc.
I am glad I was able to find this kind of community online. It's done wonder, and probably kept me more motivated and inspired!
I am so glad to hear that you are in love with your running program. That is awesome! :)
Happy Hump day!
Ahhhhh so funny you bring this up. My sister calls me up the other day (she does not run, swim, or bike, or anything) and says: "Ummm yeah so I was thinking maybe next year we could do a "full" triathlon" I'm like what do you mean "full"?!? There are different distances. Sprint, Olympic, 70.3, IM, what?!? Like a "full" one, you know like the one in Hawaii. I could not stop laughing at her naivete. I was like . . ."Do you have ANY sort of idea what exactly a FULL IM entails? This is not a casual "Oh yeah I think I'll do an Ironman on Sunday type thing" Oh Lordy some people, I just don't know . . . .
I'm glad you're liking the plan. I always feel like I've "done" something when I get done too. It's nice (afterwards not during LOL)
Glad you are enjoying the FIRST plan. I am planning on using it for my first marathon in the spring. You'll have to let us know what you learn from TI
Don't get me started!! I SOOO know what you mean.
One time I was running in an trail event. I was doing the 26.2 marathon distance and others we running the 40 mile distance. one of the "40 mile runners" said ...oh... you are doing the SHORT race. What a freaking jerk!!
Hot botton for me too!
I use the blackburn trackststand magnetic trainer. I like it, especially for the price. I got mine on sale for just under 100 last Christmas. REI has it online for 115, or if you dont have an REI near you, Amazon has it for 124 with free shipping.
It has three resistance levels, plus you really vary your resistance more by changing gears. I use it on the hardest level and my wife who is new to cycling is using the medium level. I would also recommend picking up a block or other wheel leveling device so you are not pointing down hill all the time.
It is also noisy, but since I wear headphones with my Ipod or portable DVD player, that isnt an issue for me. For the price, it was a great deal. It is definitely much sturdier then your average 100-dollarish trainer. If I was looking to spend a little more money, I might've invested in a fluid trainer
One last note on trainers I have learned it is best ot have a spare tire to use just on your trainer as I really tend to wear tires down on the trainer. They sell a tire for like 30 that is supposed to be for trainers that apparently lasts for years, but only can be used on a trainer.
Right now, I am trying to find a cheap rear wheel to build a "trainer wheel" that will fit both my bike as well as my wife's so that I just have to swap wheels rather then swapping tires
http://www.rei.com/product/692404?preferredSku=6924040014&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=FF7964E8-2C5F-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
LOL...SO many people ask me what kind of marathon I'm running. At first I was worried they knew something I didn't, but it's ok.
I'm thrilled for you that the new training is going so well. It's awesome when it just clicks.
Soooo...when ya doin' a FULL tri????....LMAOOOOOOO
Next time, just ask Joe what HE did over the weekend and ask him if it was a FULL *whatever*. "Oh, so you slept in on Saturday and Sunday morning after tying one on the night before. Was it a FULL sleep in?!?
This post made me laugh. You a funny girl! ;)
Post a Comment