Friday, July 25, 2008

Quality vs. Quantity


In my last post I mentioned how I was excited about incorporating my HR monitor into my workout routines and how I would be spending the week 'digging' up info regarding appropriate training use. Well, all of that digging lead me to debate another area of interest. Actually, an area of more interest than just learning about heart zones: Quality vs. Quantity.

When I embarked upon this journey, I read as much as I could about running. The swimming and cycling part hadn't really come into play yet. Everything I read during those weeks when I approached C25K graduation told me to build my base and endurance (and eventually speed) by increasing mileage and eventually doing long, slow runs. What I never really thought about during this time is that so much of the info. out there is geared to those training for marathons. What about people like me who only have interest in speedier short course events... and possibly a half marathon here and there? As time went on and 5K and triathlons came and went, I started to wonder if all of this slow running was actually helping to improve the events that I'm training for (mainly at this time, the Sprint Triathlon and 5K road races).

From inception (with the exclusion of a few of my first C25K weeks where I ran waaaay too hard), the majority of my easy runs have been done between a 10 min/mile and 11 min/mile pace. Long, slow runs have been done closer to, and sometimes slower than, an 11 min/mile pace. I'd incorporate fartlek runs once a week and towards the end of June, I started adding some hill training. After my well, 'weak' run performance at my last tri (where I maintained a pace about 10 seconds slower than I had in my first triathlon in May-- despite better conditions and less heat/humidity), I started to question my training methods.

As a triathlete, I have to balance three different disciplines. Obviously, if I want to have any sort of family life (and not get fired from my job), I have to train wisely. i don't have the luxury of running countless miles day in and day out in hopes that the increased base will produce eventual speed. This is where I started questioning quality vs. quantity. Incorporating long slow runs as a way to increase my base mileage (to 20 miles per week), got me nowhere during my last tri and based on the 5K tempo run that I ran last week, it hasn't really helped in my overall 5K speed since March. A dear tri friend of mine told me about a blip that she read in Runner's World: To run faster, you have to run faster.

So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I have decided to push my pace. Knowing that eventual adaptation takes place when elements are stressed, it only seems sensible to run at a faster pace so that the body gets used to it and 'knows' how to handle it. Now, the ultimate question is... what to do about my weekly 8-mile LSD run? I'm debating on whether I should keep it around or break it up into smaller chunks that I can maintain a faster pace during? I'm also debating on reducing my 20 mile a week base to 15 miles per week. Runner's World has some sort of a FIRST program that I was reading about-- basically run training takes place 3 days a week and focuses on quality, not volume. As a triathlete, this sounds beautiful to me!

So anyway... just throwing all of this out there to contemplate. I promised to let my running 'be what it may' after my meltdown two weeks ago, but I don't think that restricts me from trying out an alternative method of training. :o) I promise myself to still maintain a positive outlook and at least some semblance of a balanced triathlete.

.... and a very special shout-out to Chris as she conquers the New Jersey State Olympic Distance Triathlon this Sunday! I'm your biggest (and perhaps farthest) fan, Chris! Rock the clock!!!

8 comments:

Marcy said...

I *heart* the FIRST plans. I've used it for HM training and am currently using now for marathon training. It sucks (ie running outside your comfy zone) BUT for people who are time pressed, busy, etc . . you get your money's worth (for lack of better words LOL) ;-) I'd keep the LSD BUT make it a touch faster (anywhere from 15-60 seconds slower than target race pace, depending on what type of mileage your looking at and how far away from the race)

Marcy said...

Oooh and I just remembered :P If you want I can e-mail you the 5K or 10K plans they have in the book if you want. Just hit me with an e-mail (I'll need a current 5K time though)

Anonymous said...

What a great blog! Glad I found ya! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sher! I think you are on the right track here... nothing wrong with zenning out and letting it all play out the way its gonna play out. But there is def something to be said for challenging yourself and your limits. I can't wait to see what happens next! Thanks so much for the good wishes! I am beyong keyed up, training for this tri has been so emotional and I am really looking forward to this race as a cathartic experience. Or it might just hurt too much to entertain any thoughts other than "Why, Chris, Why??". But either way, I'm in!

Kevin said...

LSD's wont necessarily help you too much on 5K/10K/Sprint/Oly, but are a must for longer distances.

If you are doing 10K or longer, I would say keep the long run and work a variety of speedwork type options in like negative splits, longer tempo runs, pickups, fartleks, etc.

In the 6 months after I started a really organized oly tri plan, I saw even my longer runs getting faster

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

Everyone, thank you so very much for your comments and encouragement. Gosh, I heart blogland!

Marcy, guess what I bought this afternoon? The RW FIRST book, "Run Less, Run Faster". I can't put the thing down! This book is not only a busy person's dream, but it's also a triathlete's dream! I am just gobbling up everything right now! Knowing that you (speedy Marcy) advocate this program makes me ULTRA excited about it!

Chris, once again, I wouldn't even be considering all of this pace pushing if it hadn't been for what you said. You laugh, but you are so very at the core of all of this. I appreciate your advice and words of encouragement SO much. Lova ya girl... now enjoy those last hours of your taper and go get 'em!!!

Kevin, thanks so much! According to my new book (FIRST plan), looks like I won't have to lose that LSD run afterall. You are right, it looks like organized 'purposeful' runs (training in general) are the way to go. I'm making my moto, "no more junk miles."

Tina, so glad you stopped by too! I'll be checking out your page ASAP! :o)

teacherwoman said...

First, this is another great post of yours. I think that when you are juggling three disciplines and wanting to increase some speed in all three, you really do need to focus on quality rather than quantity.