Monday, July 21, 2008

Heart Rate Training


About a month ago, I found myself reaching for the heart rate monitor that came with my Polar RS200SD. I hadn't really used the HR strap since I first got my watch back in January and back then, I was only really using it to determine how many calories each of my short C25K runs was burning. Once I came to realize that I burn approx. 100 cals per mile on average, I shoved the strap in the top drawer of my dresser and forgot about it. After all, as a woman, I sort of find a HR strap a pain. I mean, having to put up with the band of my sports bra and then the band of my tank 'shelf' bra... PLUS the HR strap?? Pu-lease!!!

In late May/early June I began using the indoor treadmill at our gym in order to beat the FL heat. Every now and then I would grab the HR sensors on the mill just to 'see' where things were. Sometimes the sensors worked... sometimes they didn't. Around this time I was also diving head first into spinning classes. Hill climbs and speed bursts really get the HR up there and I began to wonder exactly how 'high' it was going. So I pulled the HR strap from my drawer, dusted it off, and strapped it on (yep, still incredibly uncomfortable). I loved the instantaneous feedback that I got while on the treadmill and I loved how it kept me in check on the bike (wrong zone... just slow down the cadence or reduce the power).

It's really only been this last week that I've decided to make the HR strap just part of my regular routine. I don't want to be a slave to it (calculating peaks and valleys like some folks do), but I do want to be able to understand how my heart is working and in what zones it should be working at in order to ensure a proper workout.

Using the strap this past Saturday was a real treat. I had just finished a spin class and since I made a commitment to incorporate 2-mile ultra easy brick runs after every bike ride (when possible), I hopped right on the treadmill. During a normal easy tmill run, I'll keep my HR anywhere between 145 and 155 (zone 3- aerobic) and I am able to do this while running between 6.0 and 6.3mph for a good 5 miles. Saturday's brick, on the other hand, was quite a challenge to my CV system. I was running at about 5.6 mph and I teetered on zone 4 just about the entire time (approx. 158 to 161 bpm). It's interesting that my body reacted like that. Perhaps I needed some calories? Perhaps I wasn't hydrated enough? Perhaps my body was tired after a week on training and a race the previous weekend? Whatever the case, being aware of these changes is what I'm lovin' about using a HR strap!

My goal this week is to try to read up on HR monitor use and the different zones I should be aiming for during my training. Tempo run zones, easy run zones, long run zones, long bike zones, intervals on bike, etc...

4 comments:

Marcy said...

Ahhhhhh HR training! Sounds like a good plan chica! I don't think I could ever go there, too many number for me. I get confused easily :P (now watch I say this now and I'm the next in line to buy one LOL)

teacherwoman said...

The HR monitor can be a very handy tool, but I agree, sometimes wearing it is more of a pain, especially when under a sports bra that is under a built in bra tank top! blech.

I haven't worn mine in a couple months since the battery went dead and I haven't replaced it yet. All I really used it for in the past half a year or so was just the time. That's it.

Kevin said...

I wear mine with my garmin and have lots of info, but dont really use the "zones" alot. I kinda seem to go be RPE and certain 10 bpm ranges. I probably should do a max HR test and sit down and figure out my zones

Anonymous said...

I did use mine for a while, but prefer RPE. I know quite few people who swear by them though.