Friday, July 18, 2008

Setting Goals

Reflections
I can't believe that it's been 7 months since I started running. According to my RA log, it all began on 12-10-07. The idea of triathlon entered my mind about a month later. How quickly time passes. I'm personally proud of how far I've come in such a short amount of time, yet I'm also saddened by the amount of moaning that I've done in regards to my running progress. When I reread many of my blog entries, my accomplishments are often overshadowed by my discontent with my running ability. When I should be writing with jubilant expression, my pen often produces something that was obviously written with disenchantment. If any of those reading this knew me in real life, they would know that this is not at all me. I'm actually a very congenial, positive person... albeit, wrapped up in the body of an overachiever. I am not excelling the way that I 'think' I should; hence, I end up disappointed overall. I need to work on these feelings before they eat me alive... so Rick, I'm going to try my very best not to beat myself up about my running anymore. :o)

Tri Goals for the remainder of 2008


Running
1. Let my running be what it will be and progress as it will progress.
2. Push my pace beyond my complacent comfort zone while minding appropriate HR zones. I've become very content at running a steady 10 min/mile pace during about 90% of my weekly mileage because it feels very easy and conversational. A veteran runner and super cool tri friend of mine (love ya, Chris K.) recently reminded me that to run faster, I need to well, run faster. My body will adapt to the quicker pace and eventually that will feel easier.
3. Improve my stretching efforts. My youth is fleeting and I've gotten into a very bad habit of not stretching nearly enough. Heck, it's not unusual for me to run 5 miles and stretch for a whole 30-seconds afterwards. My muscles need more care and attention than that.
4. Time goal: By the end of 2008, I would like to run an average 8:30 min/mile in a 5K road race or a 26:30 5K.

Cycling
1. Cycle outside at least once a week during the summer. Once the weather breaks a bit in fall, cycle outside once or twice per week.
2. Include cycling intervals during training.
3. Learn how to get into and out of cycling shoes while on a moving bike to aid in transition times.
4. Include a 2-mile ultra easy brick run after every bike/spin.
5. Participate in an organized cycling event.
6. Time goal: increase average training pace by 1mph.

Swimming
1. In each training session, include a section of swimming that simulates a race start (speed) and then eases into a steady pace with occasional bursts of speed to simulate passing efforts.
2. Incorporate at least one open water swimming session per month.
3. Practice running in open water and making the transition onto sand.
4. No time goal- just aiming to exit the swim with a bit more stamina/energy going into transition.

7 comments:

Sara said...

wow I can't believe that you've only been doing this for 7 months - your natural ability is great! Those are some amazing goals! I too would love to run 8:30 min/miles but not to sure if I can do it but entirely positive that you will definitely do it!!

Rick said...

Very good, and realistic/attainable, goals for you Sherry. I totally understand the, "I shoulda done better" attitude. Comes from being perfectionistic and competitive. But, you were wise to recognize that you were not crediting yourself enough with all you have accomplished and, I am glad that you took some time to look back and reflect. Keep up the great work... you've come a long way and have been an inspiration to me.
;-)

Marcy said...

Holy!! You've only been doing this for 7 months?!? Ohhh good God woman! Of COURSE your running will get better ;D I believe it's 7 years of running before you reach your peak (or something like that, I can't remember but you KWIM LOL)

Kevin said...

Only 7 months!! Wow! Never wouldve thought it. Those sound like great goals

Gotta Run..... said...

I love setting goals. Without them I would be lost.

You are doing great for being at this for less than a year.

GO GIRL!

KimsRunning said...

Hey Sherry!
I never thought you were complaining! I understand how our blogs can be more like a journal for our deeper thoughts. The stuff we don't normally voice to anyone. I'm just beginning to realize people even read mine....lol.

Funny that you'd pull up your anniversary dates, I just did that yesterday and was shocked to find the very first time I ever ran was Nov 2nd. I thought it was October! And I didn't even have real running shoes until December!

Your a great athlete Sherry, never doubt yourself!!!

teacherwoman said...

Your goals look awesome! I agree with Marcy! I Can't believe you have only been doing this for 7 months! You have come a long way in such a short amount of time!