Scott & I made a trip up to Sarasota yesterday. I was in desperate need of a new pair of running shoes and Scott wanted to visit the almighty Village Bikes shop.
First stop- Fit2Run for new shoes!
I had my foot analyzed with iStep technology and then my running gait was videotaped. I have very high arches... no surprise. I also learned that I overpronate, more on my right foot than my left. This was a surprise. Often, high arches = supinator or neutral gait. To have high arches AND overpronate, well it creates a weirdish foot type that doesn't have a lot of shoes marketed towards it. After trying on 7 or 8 different pairs of shoes that were made available to me by the sales associate, I left with a pair of Mizuno Wave Nirvana and some Lynco inserts that they suggested. Not as comfy out of the box as my Nimbus IX's were, but I figured I would deal.
I ran 4.5 miles in the shoes & inserts on the "thrillmill" (thanks, Teacherwoman) last night and all I felt was clip-clop, heavy, LOUD, argh! Not happy! Returned home and told Scott that they were going back to the store. This morning I woke up and figured I would give them a few more runs to decide. I removed the new inserts (which I think may be too cumbersome), put my old arch inserts in, and will do a short treadmill hill run in them later. Since I have 30-days to return, I'm reserving final judgement on these shoes until late next week... which is the next time I have to make a trip up to Sarasota.
Second Stop- VillageBikes
In one word... Village Bikes is pretty darn awesome. Sarasota has a rather large amateur triathlete population and this particular shop is local resident & Ironman Champ Heather Gollnick's choice. Before I go on, I must admit that our sole reason for visiting VillageBikes was to check out their collection of tri bikes. How could we resist being that we were in the area? :o) So Village Bikes lived up to its rep. Ed Levins, the owner, was terrific! He asked me a series of questions about my goals and current riding style such as:
1. Do I cycle b/c I enjoy cycling or do I cycle to mainly train for tris?
2. Do I take part in group rides or do I cycle solo?
Thinking about moving on to a tri bike has crossed my mind for a while now. Since the only reason that I ride is to train for tris AND the only person that I ride with is Scott, I probably should have thought about a tri bike from the get-go. Anyway, I'm thinking about it now... I've fallen head over heels for this sport! Of course when dreaming about a new bike, I also find myself dreaming about new shoes, a new helmet... I'm going to have to take up a second job!
Sticking with the plan
I've done really well with sticking to my training plan this past week. I had a miserable day on Tuesday and almost decided not to complete my scheduled swim, but I managed to shrug my funk off enough to get in a little bit of speed and stroke work. Today's training features some cycling and a short hill run.
5 comments:
LOl that is one common theme that keeps popping up in all the tri blogs. The sport is NOT cheap. I guess it's a good thing I have a fear of riding a bike on the open road LOL
My husband bikes and is already looking for a new racing bike too. It's SO FUNNY how we have gotten into this thing where we "support" each other's sport so we can feel better about the cash flowing into gear....LOL
Sherry, thank you for your kind words on my mileage mishap. It means the world to me! I'm fine with it now, it's even funny!!!
xxx
Kim
I thought running was expensive... this tri stuff definitely isn't!... especially start up costs! ha!
Shopping at sports stores and cost you some serious money!!! Very dangerous.
Way to complete your solid week of training.
Keep up the awesome training, Sherry! You'll be doing Ironman in no time! ;-)
Post a Comment