Walt Disney World- Orlando, FL
May 11, 2008
1/4 mile swim - 9 mile bike - 2 mile run
Finish time: 1:03:21
Overall rank: 123/1,164
Age group rank: 24/117
On Saturday morning, May 10th, we arrived at the Danskin Women's Triathlon Series Expo. Packet pick-up was easy since I already knew my race number. My mother got the honors of placing my first ever bodymarkings!
Mom bodymarking me at the expo
After I collected all of my Expo swag, we trekked back to the parking lot, collected my bike, and proceeded to the transition area. It was SOOO hot! Over 100F with the heat index. The heat coupled with the travel day on Friday and the early start on Saturday was eft me exhausted. I couldn't wait to be finished with all of the set-up so that I could get back to the hotel and chill.
When we got to the transition area I picked out a spot on the bike rack, covered my aerobottle and computer and then went down to test out the lake water. It felt a lot like a heated pool. Gotta love Florida for temperate swims!
Setting up my transition area!
After a half hour wait in the port-a-potty line, I stripped down to my swim attire and began the tense wait for the release of my swim wave. I was in wave number 7, so I had a good half hour to watch and observe the other waves from the beach. Some folks weren't even getting out 50 yards before they were screaming for the lifeguards! I remained confident, though. I haven't been swimming since I was 3-years-old to freak out about a lake swim. Just before I made my way over to the corral, Scott told me that I better get my butt up in the front of my wave or I was going to be swimming over people! I listened to him and I'm so glad that I did.Wave #7 takes off! I'm up there near the front!
The swim was really everything that I expected. Elbows flying, touching people's feet, people touching my feet... felt like swim team practice back in high school with a bit of seaweed and exhaust from the lifeguard motorboats thrown in for fun. I had zero open water practice prior to this triathlon and was relying on years of swimming experience and some SCUBA experience. Honestly, other than having to dodge bodies as I caught up to slower swimmers from the earlier waves, the swim went well. Admittedly, it is a lot of work dodging slower swimmers, but I still came out with swim ranks that I was super proud of: 80/1164 overall and 7/117 for my age group.
The bike course had one major problem in my book... a 1/2 mile "no passing" zone in front of the Grand Floridian Hotel. Since the course was an out and back loop, twice I had to watch my speed drop from 19-20mph down to 11 mph as I went through this zone! There were a lot of mountain bikes/hybrids in this tri and in the no passing zone, you could only go as fast as the slowest hybrid/mountain bike ahead of you. It was agonizing!!! The overall mph averages for everyone are completely skewed b/c of the this! Most of the "faster" bikers only clocked in averages between 16 and 18.5 mph!!! I averaged 16.7 thanks to this zone. I also lost my bike number about 200 yards into the course AND I lost another mesh plug for my aerobottle. I am done buying those things. I definitely learned a few things about my cycling skills yesterday. First and foremost, I am a better cyclist than I thought and second, that I definitely can give more during a race. In hind site, I feel like I relaxed too much during this leg of the race. Cycling ranks: 138/1164 overall and approx. 15/117 in my age group.
The journey back to the transition area for T2 felt nearly as long as the journey to T1... except that I didn't feel nearly as tired (like I mentioned, could've given more on the bike). My legs felt great, mindset was positive and I couldn't wait to get started with the run. Transition time for T2 was 1:34. LOVE my new lock laces! Woot!
Starting the run leg with a smile on my face!
The run through the Magic Kingdom was awesome! The park was still closed, but the cheerful course monitors and Disney cast members were a Godsend ! I noticed that I was among a lot of athletes with earlier wave starts than myself, so I knew I was doing good. All of my small post-bike mini-bricks really worked b/c I don't recall my legs ever feeling like lead. As soon as I passed the first water station, I took out a packet of GU from my race belt and began to suck it down. I ran the first mile sucking down GU. I didn't mind holding onto it and it sort of gave me something to preoccupy my mind with. My pace felt great. I started off slow (near 10:20 min/mile pace) and gradually settled into around an 8:40 min/mile as my hammys and glutes loosened up. I ended up average a 9:23 min/mile pace. I have really been working on my leg turnover and I think it's starting to pay off. I hope I continue to make progress.
In looking at my overall stats, my run is something that I definitely need to work on. The majority of the women in my age group who placed above me did so b/c they were averaging 7:40 - 8:00 min/miles or so in the run. Heck, my swim time was faster than the girl who won my age group! So running, alas, is my weak leg. I know that I can improve with time and training, though. I'm optimistic! Run ranks: 231/1164 overall and middle of the pack for my age-group.
The run finish was awesome! It was amazing to hear my name announced over the loudspeaker! The crowd was awesome! Everyone was cheering! I felt wonderful too! I have been reflecting a lot on my training and my taper. I feel like I was more than adequately prepared for this race AND I feel that my taper worked very well as I was really itching to exercise on Saturday and by the time Sunday rolled around I was really itching to exercise! My body was totally refreshed and recovered!
Crossing the finish line in 1:03:21
I feel really great today! My rhomboids and my traps are just a teeny bit sore, but other than that I feel terrific! I plan on doing a nice 3 mile recovery run this evening and then tomorrow I will sit down and figure out my training plan for the next two months. I have a one mile open water swim coming up on July 4th and then another sprint tri on July 13th.
Words of Thanks
First and foremost to my husband and my mother for supporting my efforts over the past 5 months. Training certainly takes time away from "our time" and I thank you for understanding the importance of all of the training. I love you both so very much! Scott, I can't wait until you are fully healed and we can do these things together! Big hugs to the rest of my awesome family... both here in FL and in NJ!
Chrissy K.- My private tri coach from afar! Even though it's been nearly 13 years since we last saw each other, your vigor for life, health, and the sport of triathlon shines through in every one of your inspirational messages. Thank you so very much for the words of encouragement and tips along the way. Yes, I remembered to wipe the mud mustache off!
Julie H.- Just in case you stumble across this blog someday, please know it was you who first got me to see that 'real people' actually participate in the sport of triathlon, not just elite, professional athletes. Thank you for the poolside chat and race tips. And PLEASE kick my butt in those spinning classes!
Blog friends- Kim C., Rick, Marcy, Stacy, Rachel, Marion, and Shawn. It has been a real pleasure interacting with all of you over the past few months. You guys rock and inspire me with each and every post that you make! Kim C... my mission is to get YOU to do a tri!!!
12 comments:
Sherry!! I love your report! I'm so very happy for you!! I ran up the driveway after the gym to jump online to read that. I KNEW you'd do well (I love it when I'm right...lol) Don't you feel like you could leap a tall building in a single bound?????
As for me doing a tri...I have to get over my fear of the water first, but how 'bout you run the Space Coast marathon with me Nov 30th?????
Great job Sherry, I'm so proud of you!!!
xxx
Kim
Whooooaaa chica!! Awesome race report and FANTASTIC job! Wow, and this was your first? Danngg!1 Excellent excellent job! ;D ;D
Sherry I am so very proud of you! You can see the pure joy all over your face in the pics. I am so excited for this new passion that you are nurturing and can't wait to read your posts of furture races. It keeps getting better!
Now we need to have a reunion - maybe do a tri together!!
Wow!!!! Awesome Job! Congrats on a great race! All of that hard work and training paid off. Great race report! Can't wait to read the next one!
Nice job on the triathlon! YOU totally ROCKED it! I so want to do a Danskin, but the closest one to me is Chicagoland ... 9 hours away. Maybe I will save up and fly to FL for that one next year!
Reading your post has me itching to do another tri!
Well done, Sherry! Wonderful report as well! You did amazing for your first tri! They'd be dredging the lake for my cold, bloated body if I ever attempted something one of these. Hehe.
Congratulations!
Sherry, I'm so proud of u for doing this, I know it took alot of effort and time and I am truly amazed and proud of you.
Love, aunt Marlene
I found your blog through Rick's blog and wanted to congratulate you on a great race.
Hey....I just saw your abs!! maybe I will do a tri.....lol
Everyone...
Thank you SO very much for the nice blog comments! They all mean a lot to me.
HUGS to you all!
Wow! I am so impressed! You did great!!!
Wow what a great race report and first tri!! I'm so jealous!! You totally rocked it!! I'm excited to read more!
Thanks for the comment, I love finding new tri blogs to read. I'm sorry about the spoiler, usually I try to be careful but I get so excited with ANTM that I usually blow it!!
Post a Comment