Friday, May 16, 2008

Post-race ponderings



I have completed my very first triathlon. I am experiencing my first week of post-triathlon blues... or at least what feels like 'the blues'. Interestingly enough, I do not seem to experience said 'blues' after a 5k road race. I suppose this is b/c 5k's aren't something that I actively train for right now... they are just something that I throw into my tri training routine here and there. Completing the Danskin triathlon has been my training focus since January and now that it's over, I feel empty and uncertain.

On the race schedule I have a one-mile open water swim (which isn't a timed race, just a community event), a sprint tri in mid-July and then another sprint tri at the end of August. I leaning towards deciding against doing the MiamiMan International distance tri this year b/c I lack confidence in my ability to run a decently paced 10k after an olympic distance swim and bike. MiamiMan may have to wait until '09.

This past week has been a big guessing game. I don't know how much I should rest after a race or if I should be resting much at all. Do I just move right on into training for July's race? What I ended up doing this week was a very short bike ride followed by a very easy 4 mile run. I plan to run another easy 4-miler tomorrow and maybe a 2 or 3 miler on Sunday while I continue to decide what it is I'm supposed to do now AND exactly how I'm supposed to train to do it. Obviously I would like to try and work on the times that I posted in the Danskin and better them come July and August, but I have no idea "how" to do this. I've contemplated hiring a certified tri training coach to at least get me started on the right path, but I'm unsure of that as well.

I really, REALLY want to focus on improving my running so that I can be a more balanced triathlete. I learned this past weekend that triathlon is really a cyclist and runner's game. You can be a terrific swimmer, but since the swim is such a small part of the overall distance/time, if you aren't swift in cycling or running, the great time that you posted in the swim is pretty much a moot point.

I suppose my main problem here is that I don't know how to 'balance' my tri workouts to include those workouts necessary to retain and build upon my endurance AND those workouts (namely running) that will increase my speed. Today I found myself wishing that tri season were over so that I could just focus on running. Juggling a multisport discipline is tough stuff and I find myself longing for the early days of my C25K training when it was just about the run.

One thing is for certain- I need to come up with something by Monday and implement it. July 13th isn't all that far away.

6 comments:

Rick said...

I say if your feeling good, start training for your July race. As far as speed goes in your running portion of your tri's, there's no substitute for mileage. If your uncertain what to do right now, start building your running mileage base now, which it sounds like you're already doing. That, in and of itself, will make you faster, just by logging a lot of running miles. Obviously you want to slowly build up to higher mileage though. ;-)

Fit your swimming and biking in around that. I thought you did awesome on your first tri, Sherry! Love the running pic of you in the side bar. It's sweet!

Have a good weekend!

KimsRunning said...

Oh, those are abs sister, and I want 'em too! When I do get my abs, there'll be a HUGE picture on my blog. You can bet on that!!!!....LOL

Anyway, I can't find any 5K's, do you know any? I'd love to race ya....lol! (and lose) I haven't run for a few days. Been so busy (ok, and a lil lazy). Had some drama at work that took some of my energy away.

We should meet for coffee so we can exchange our big race stories!!! Email me at kimacu1966@yahoo We'll figure out a time and place!

Kim

KimsRunning said...

I just read your last post. Those blues are so normal. I had it too after the marathon. We worked and trained so hard for that one big day, when it's over we don't know what to do! I'm signing up for the Space Coast marathon for November tonight. I NEED to have that goal. My friend Ed may be running NY, but if he doesn't, he's coming to Space Coast to pace with me. He can do it in 4 hours, which I'd KILL to do....LOL I want to do Boston so bad but I think it'll take me a little time. I have that. (time) We'll keep stopping to smell the flowers Sherry. The next "thing" will come along and we'll be back to our training stuff. I love that you "got" the "flowers" thing too. Makes such a difference, doesn't it??

kim

teacherwoman said...

Oh hun, I hear you. My next race, I believe will be a tri in september and I want to train right for it ... I just haven't been able to find a training plan that I like.

Good luck with what you decide... and those post race blues are normal.. I am starting to feel the same..

Gotta Run..... said...

I have been running for several years. Last year I took on Ultra Distance events. Now I know more than ever that swimming and biking have only made me a stronger runner. Don't take out those workout so that you can only focus on running. The bike will make you stronger and faster runner and swimming will be a great recovery cross training for you.

Congrats on your Tri!!

Sherry said...

To all: Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement! I realy think I was just going through a post-tri funk last week. I'm feeling much better (and more positive) this week.

I'm such a competitive person (more so with myself than with others)-- I want to improve, imrpove, improve... but the realist in me knows that improvement takes time. :o)

Thanks again!!!