
After a week of positive post-race training, I am totally gung-ho! Right now I'm focusing on continuing to build my endurance base, while picking up a bit of speed for the upcoming sprint tris.
I'm getting better at the whole scheduling thing. I actually find it quite enjoyable to write out my training plans and having a plan posted next to my desk really goes a long way in keeping me on track. This is what I have scheduled for this week:
Monday: 8 mile easy run
Tuesday: 2 mile fartlek run + speed/stroke focused swim
Wednesday: 4 mile easy run
Thursday: 15 miles easy cycling + 2 mile hill run
Friday: Strength training class + endurance focused swim
Saturday: 1-hr. spinning class (intervals & hills) + 2 mile easy run
Sunday: Rest
I'm sneaking in additional short run increments each week in order to slowly build up to that 20 miles per week mark. I'm also making sure that runs that I have scheduled as easy runs, are done, in fact easy! I'm getting a lot better at this. I completed yesterday's 8-miler at a pace of 11 min/mile. Nice, easy and completely conversational. The way it should be done.
The weather... I'm in South FL. It's already hot. With 90F temps daily, it's too hot for me. I'm not a hot and humid weather kind of gal. Therefore, I've taken a lot of my training indoors. I loathe running on the treadmill, but I'm doing it anyway for my shorter runs. I've also added an interval & hill spinning class (which I needed to do anyway) to my schedule in lieu of one of my outdoor rides. Is it possible to sweat in an outdoor pool? If you live in So. FL, that answer is yes! Even the lap pool is warm.
I guess this is what we get served for having the pleasure of actually being able to train outdoors year-round. A small price to pay for those who love it here, I'm sure... Unfortunately I am not one who generally sings praise for swamp-like living, so for those of you who may be reading this blog, you will hear me moan about the weather yearly. With all of that being said, I am really trying to stay positive and make the best of things.
4 comments:
Many people don't realize it, but we can get some pretty nasty humidity here as well. We also get some pretty crazy wind too. I think I would take the humidity over the wind any day!
Your week ahead looks great ... and full of a variety of workouts! Love it! And yes, we will be sharing training tips.. fo sho!
I thought about you homies (that live in FL) yesterday. It was maybe 82 with no humidity and I was sweating my buns off. I have NO idea how you all manage that weather with the sticky factor. YIKES!
I am fine with the heat... well kindof... but the humidity here in SC is just to much at times.
Indoor training will be a close friend of mine this summer. Longest run on the dreadmill last year was 18 miles. now that was hard and something I hope to not have to repeat again.
Nice week Sherry. I tell ya, I will take heat and humidity over running on a treadmill- just can't do the treadmill unless it is a last option. You guys that can do that are awesome!!!
The humidity has really hit here in Atlanta this week- I think on my run at 5:00 this morning it was at 96%.
Post a Comment