Sunday, April 20, 2008

Peak Week

Peak week has arrived! It's hard for me to believe that my very first triathlon is only 3 weeks away. It's even more difficult for me to believe that all of this started a mere 4 months ago! In four months time, I went from a girl who took basic aerobics classes at her gym 3-days a week to a girl who can now run 8 miles straight, bike more than 20 miles at a 17 to 18 mph pace, and can easily swim 1.5 miles during a workout. It all just amazes me! To know that I still have even 'more' to give... well, holy cow! Sometimes I have to remind myself that "I" am the one who can do all of this. I'm not just admiring from afar... this is me! :o) Woot!

Tomorrow begins my peak week of training. I have worked out a schedule and it is as follows:

Monday: 60 min. run (long)
Tuesday: 30 min. swim (short) + strength
Wednesday: 75 min. bike (long)
Thursday: 35 min. run (short)
Friday: REST DAY
Saturday: 60 min. swim (long)
Sunday: Brick training- 50 min. bike (short) + 30 min. run (short)

Total training time for peak week: 5 hours 40 minutes!!!

My tri friend and old high school pal, Miss Chrissy K, reminded me that even in a Sprint distance I need to incorporate a taper. She also reminded me that I need to make sure to rinse off my mud mustache when I exit the swim, but that is another story entirely! LOL! So my plan is to include a 10-day taper period before my race. My exact workouts for this taper period are yet to be determined, but it will basically be about reducing volume a bit, while employing active recovery. In the end, the triathlon is on May 11th and I should be well rested and set to go!

5 comments:

KimsRunning said...

Sherry....

I wish our races were the same weekend, I could've cheered you on! I just know you'll have a great experience no matter what. You've trained so well these last few months, I can't wait to get the race report! (Please don't make me wait even though it took me 2 days to post mine....lol) I didn't realize you just started training. I only trained 4.5 months for my marathon too! We're crazy, huh?????

teacherwoman said...

Wow... your week looks great! Nice work! You have come so far! Keep it up! :)

Mar said...

You tri folk amaze me!

What an inspiration you are:) Congrats on coming so far in your training:)

KimsRunning said...

LOL...I'd have picked playing nurse too! Way more fun!

How is that husband of yours feeling?????

Are you doing any of the races on the Zoomer webpage in May? I'm thinking of the May 17th one. The Smile Train race is less than a week after the Minnie 15K, but the cause is wonderful. It's for cleft pallet kids. If I am able, I will run that one. If not, I'll volunteer for it.

Good to have you back Sherry!!!!!

Rick said...

Well done, Sherry! And, a 30minute swim is a *short* swim?!? For me that's called drowning! A 60 minute swim for me would be body recovery from the bottom of the pool!
:-P

Continued success in your training and tapering. ;-)