Friday, April 25, 2008

Stiff legs and a sluggish body

I am officially a TERD!

Tired
full of Excuses
wanna be tRiathlete
with a craptastic Diet!

Since my husband's accident in early April my diet, my training, and frankly my head just haven't been where they should be. We received two cookie bouquets from concerned friends... one of which took up refuge in my stomach. My father-in-law flew in from NJ and stayed for two weeks and that meant A LOT of eating out! My willpower to avoid french fries is practically non-existent. It also meant about three outings for ice cream! I don't eat like this... I can't eat like this! After a HORRID run this morning I promptly came home and tossed all of the remaining JUNK that we had in the fridge and the cupboard. Time to restock with apples and carrots. My friends.

My mind took a dive on Wednesday when I had a bright idea to "freshen" things up by going to a high intensity circuit training aerobics/weight class at my gym. I used to take this class 2 to 3 days a week, but since increasing my tri training I haven't done one in nearly 2 months. So I went in and banged it out! Full blown! Cardiovascularly, I felt great! About 40 minutes into the routine, however, I felt the first twinge in my left calf. I rubbed it out and kept on going. Immediately after the class the only thing that seemed to bother me was my right shoulder. I figured that I had tweaked it during the shoulder presses and that for safety's sake, I would forgo my planned long ride that evening. I didn't want to put any extra pressure on it by riding in an aero position.

Yesterday morning when I awoke, I could barely walk! Both calves hurt SOOOO badly! It felt like someone had hammered on them! My shoulder was still sore as well. Talk about a mess! One dinky aerobics class had me on my knees in soreness! I sulked around all morning and then decided to take the entire day off. Two days of peak week training were ruined.

This morning was 'make up' time. My calves were still very sore, but I forced myself outside in 96% humidity and started a 4 mile run. This run turned out to be what was most likely the WORST run I've had since week 5, day 3 of C25K back in January!!! Absolutely horrid! I ended up taking THREE walk breaks. I stopped my watch during all three breaks b/c I was determined that the 4 miles that I was going to cover were going to be running miles, not walking miles.

I returned from this morning's run feeling craptastic and totally defeated. I can blame it on a lot of things: the humidity, my crappy diet, sore calves, poor desire, defeatist attitude, etc... However, the plethora of excuses that I can come up with will not improve anything. I need to put this run behind me and move on.

**Note: I was looking through my RunningAhead blog and I noticed that I have had some really crappy AM runs. I also always seem to complain about the humidity during the AM. Looks like AM Florida runs may not be the 'thing' for me.

3 comments:

KimsRunning said...

Don't beat yourself up! You've had a crazy couple weeks (husband)...I didn't run for 6 weeks and now I have an upper respiratory thing going on. I ran 6 miles with a good time, so you won't really lose anything if you rest a day or so. I give this advice to you, my friend, but I don't take it...LOL. I tried to run 4 miles today and couldn't breath...HA!! So my mouth says one thing but my heart understands you. Hang in there sista!!!

teacherwoman said...

A little hard on yourself?!?! I hope your legs are feeling better!

Sherry said...

LOL! Evidently I was majorly hard on myself yesterday. Today is a new day! Thanks heavens!! :o)