Monday, April 14, 2008

Getting back in the saddle

My husband was released from the hospital this past Friday. It's so wonderful to have him home. We've been taking it as easy as possible... doing only as much as he can tolerate. He came to the pool with me on Saturday and watched me swim laps (thrilling, I'm sure, but at least he was out of the house) and last night we went out for a 1/2 mile walk. He's normally a super active guy, so all of this sitting around is beginning to drive him crazy. He also can't lift more than 15 pounds for a couple of months. Would drive me crazy too!

Well, I pretty much got in bare bones training last week: a mere 8 miles of running, an embarrassing 8 miles of cycling, and 2.5 miles of swimming. Looks like swimming took the cake for the week!

Today, however, I'm getting back in the saddle. We are having our last 'cool' front (aka temps in the mid-70's) of the year over the next few days and I intend to use it wisely. I have a 7 mile run scheduled for today to start the week off. Was hoping to do it this morning, but I'm having some GI issues so it may have to wait for later in the day or tonight. The rest of the week remains unplanned, but I would like to get in a 20-mile bike at some point. It's been a few weeks since I did one and now that my biking partner is laid up, I'm really worried about my personal motivation to jump on the bike. I always would much rather swim or run.

Finally...

Congratulations to Rachel who became an Ironman yesterday AND to Rick who completed his first marathon yesterday! You guys rock my socks! I'm so happy for you both!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Wow! I feel like a rock star getting a shout out on your blog, Sherry.

I am so sorry to have read about your husband's accident and injuries, but am so thankful he was not injured worse and that he is now home with you. I pray he has a speedy and full recovery.

Hang in there with your training. While I'm thrilled to be able to call myself a marathoner now, your sharing about your husband's accident really puts things in perspective. Godspeed his recovery. :)

Thanks again for the props!