Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Moving along like an 'ole C-130


When I asked why it was taking so long to get to our destination during an AF C-130 flight back in 1998, a seasoned Crew Chief said to me, "yeah, well, we fly slower than drool."

That's basically how my 8 mile run went yesterday.... long and slow. It's quite possible that I could have power walked faster. Slower than drool aside, who is this girl who can now run 8 continuous miles? Back in mid-December when I started this whole thing, I could barely run 1/4 mile without feeling completely out of breath. To be able to run 8 miles without feeling like my lungs are on fire completely amazes me. I am proud.

Of course, I did break the cardinal 10% rule and my knees are thanking me for it this morning. My longest runs prior to yesterday have only been 6 miles. I had planned to only do 7 miles yesterday; however, when I hit 7 I was still a good mile out from home. Instead of walking back like a good runner who cares about her body, I just kept running. Call me Forrest Gump.

I've been thinking about Adidas' new ad this morning: Our short runs used to be our long runs. It's funny how this happens. I think 8 miles will be my 'long' run for a while though; or at least until I start thinking about training for an Oly.

Today is a swim day... my knees will be happy once again.

ORN 3-31-08: 8 miles
OSN 4-10-08: 1800 yds (1 mile)

7 comments:

teacherwoman said...

way to rest your knees after a long run with a good swim! Smart thinkin'!

Rachel said...

Good job! It's nice to look back and see how far we've come.

KimsRunning said...

Your training is showing some pretty fantastic results!!! Good for you Sherry! I can't wait to get your tri results!!!!!

I hoping to run Friday. I was going to give it a shot today but my coach told me to take it easy unti friday. I can feel myself getting depressed...sighhhhh

SM said...

Awesome Job on the 8 miles! When I did my first long run i swear I saw a turtle pass me.

KimsRunning said...

Hey Forrest....where the heck are ya?????

KimsRunning said...

OMG Sherry!!
ICU???? That's awful!! I had a weird feeling last night because you hadn't been on for so long and I knew your training was getting down to the wire. I was worried.

If I can help with anything, please let me know!!

xxx
Kim

KimsRunning said...

Hey Sherry....what's going on? Is your husband going home this weekend? How are YOU???