Saturday, March 29, 2008

Danskin Bike-Run Time Trial

With only 42 training days left before the Orlando Danskin Triathlon, I decided that it was time for me to do a bike-run time trial. I've been doing mini-bricks after every bike ride; however, until today I had never done the actual Danskin bike & run distances back to back.

Danskin Orlando bike-run time trial specs: 9 mile bike + T2 + 2 mile run

Breakfast was normal for me and was consumed about 2 hours before time trial: cup of coffee w/ sugar & creamer; bowl of mini-wheats. No GI upset was encountered during time trial.

Attire: I swear the chamois in my bike shorts irritates my girly bits more than wearing nothing (see a few posts below), so I opted to ride & run in a pair of Nike Tempo shorts, my Moving Comfort Fiona bra with a black Champion bra overtop. A black bra overtop, b/c I didn't want to run in an all white bra for fear that people might think I was a streaker! Anyway, this is the first time that I have EVER bared my midriff in training, but I've discovered that during my runs I end up doing a lot of self-ventilating with my "wicking" shirts (pulling them away from my body and fanning myself). So I decided that today I would ditch the shirt entirely and just wear the sports bras. Ya know what... me LOVED!!!

Conditions: 79F, sunny, 51% humidity, dew point at 59F, "feels like" of 80F, winds out of ESE @ 6mph

Set-up: I set up my running shoes and my visor in my garage and then donned my bike gear. I started my watch and I was off!

Bike: I used my typical neighborhood loop for my 9 mile ride. It is absolutely NOT geared for fast road biking (too many turns, driveways, cars, people, dogs, people walking dogs) but it's all that I have locally without having to drive someplace. My 9 mile bike time was 31:59... a teensy bit slower than what I had hoped for; however, I think a lot of it has to do with the route itself. I am making great use of my aerobars now and wishing that I had purchased a tri bike so that shifting wouldn't be so cumbersome. It's very flat and open around here and I deal with a lot of wind when I ride... so I'm constantly shifting. That means I'm on and off the aerobars continuously.

T2: Obstacle one... my garage door would not open! Grr! I had to key in the code twice! No problem though as I figured that the delay would make my transition time more realistic. Once inside the garage, I docked my bike and ran over to my shoes and visor. Plopped down on the ground (not sure if this is a good idea) and realized that I had failed to untie my laces. Doh! Drank some H2O. Slipped shoes on, peeled cycling gloves off, took off helmet, slipped on visor and away I went! Transition time was 1:34.

Run: All of the little mini-bricks that I have been doing after each bike ride must be paying off b/c my legs felt pretty decent. It was my lungs that were having the field day! I ended up doing two 10 second walks during the first mile of the run. They really seemed to help. Finally, I got my lungs together and was able to run the last mile without a problem. It was an effort, but I didn't feel like I was gasping for breath anymore. I realized somewhere in the middle of my run that I forgot to take off my sunglasses at T2. I never wear sunglasses when I run (that's what my visor is for) and they felt totally weird on my face the entire time. I ended up completing my run in 21:23 (averaging a 10:42 pace).

Total bike-run time trial time including T2 transition = 54:56!!! If I add my 400 split from my swim yesterday (7:32) and stick in another 2 minutes for T1 (which seemed to be avg. for last year), I am able to estimate that if I were to complete the Danskin Tri tomorrow, it would take me approx. 1:04:28! Wow!! That time would have placed me 36/107 competitors in my age group last year! Double wow!!!

With more than a month left to train, maybe I can knock off a minute or two! Would be awesome! If not, I'll take that 1:04:28!! Woot!!!

Rest day tomorrow! Hurray!!!!

OSN 3-28-08: 2100 yds

OCN 3-29-08: tri time trial, 9 miles
ORN 3-29-08: tri time trial, 2 miles

1 comment:

KimsRunning said...

Sherry....your last post is so exciting! My husband reads your blog too and he's VERY interested in trying a tri. He works a lot right now, but it should slow down soon. Maybe he'll find the time to train. You are going to ROCK in that race! Hey, they make Laces Lock. Google that. I bought some for the marathon. They're elastic and you don't have to tie/untie them! Easy slip on/off. Mine were $5 at the expo. If you can't find any let me know. I'll rip mine out and give them to you! They're pink (of course). Also, if you want your name on your shorts/shirt let me know. I have an embroidery machine....I have a million fonts too.

Thank you for your support about Boston Sherry. I know it'll be a stretch to attempt this, but I don't care. If I'd listened to a few people who told me I couldn't train for a marathon in 4 1/2 months I never would have accomplished THAT goal. So, I'm going for it! My coach has given me his blessing too, which means a lot to me. I think if it were totally out of the question, he'd be the one to know!

Have I told you lately that I hate my hip flexor???? Well I do.

xxx
Kim