
During my 20 mile ride last week I debated on whether or not I liked riding in a bike short that has a rather lofty chamois pad. I kept wondering to myself if the thick padding of the chamois was placing more pressure on my sensitive bits than if I were to just ride properly in the saddle (which has a cut-out comfort relief zone).
This morning I decided to do my quickie 10 mile ride sans chamois. I wore a pair of thin 'ole Nike Tempo track shorts for the test ride. Interestingly enough, I found that when I got sloppy with my saddle posture that's when I felt discomfort (duh!). When I adjusted myself and made sure that I was sitting on my sits bones, I felt completely fine. I'm now wondering if for longer rides all that I really need is a thinner chamois, like something that comes in a tri suit bottom. I'm going to ride sans chamois on my next 20 miler to test out how a slightly longer ride might feel; although my suspicion is that as long as I maintain a proper position in the saddle I'll be fine.
Disclaimer: Obviously I have no experience with century rides or the equiv. and perhaps a thicker chamois IS needed for super long rides.
ORN for 3-9-08 (I just recently discovered what ORN means & have decided to be a running groupie and employ it): 5.01 mile @ 11:34 m/m pace
OCN for 3-10-08: easy 10.1 at 15.67 mph average (winds NE at 10mph)
This morning I decided to do my quickie 10 mile ride sans chamois. I wore a pair of thin 'ole Nike Tempo track shorts for the test ride. Interestingly enough, I found that when I got sloppy with my saddle posture that's when I felt discomfort (duh!). When I adjusted myself and made sure that I was sitting on my sits bones, I felt completely fine. I'm now wondering if for longer rides all that I really need is a thinner chamois, like something that comes in a tri suit bottom. I'm going to ride sans chamois on my next 20 miler to test out how a slightly longer ride might feel; although my suspicion is that as long as I maintain a proper position in the saddle I'll be fine.
Disclaimer: Obviously I have no experience with century rides or the equiv. and perhaps a thicker chamois IS needed for super long rides.
ORN for 3-9-08 (I just recently discovered what ORN means & have decided to be a running groupie and employ it): 5.01 mile @ 11:34 m/m pace
OCN for 3-10-08: easy 10.1 at 15.67 mph average (winds NE at 10mph)
Only 4 days until the
SWFL Komen Race for the Cure 5K!!!
2 comments:
Hey Sherry!
I don't think the track coach would mind at all. He's a sweetie! I'd feel more comfortable having you with me too. I figure he'll be busy with the kids and we'll just be kind of listening in and copying. I'm curious to see how it will go. I'm sure the kids already know what they have to do, so the coach may have spots of time to give the two of us some guidance and advice. I'm thrilled to have this chance!!
Kim
Awesome, Kim! When you get your post-marathon running legs back, we'll go for it! Sounds like a good opportunity!
Post a Comment