Memphis... more specifically Germantown... what a wonderful place! I can't wait to go back. Scott & I never got in more than the one 6-mile run b/c it ended up pouring rain the other two days that we were there. No problems though. I ended up doing a 3.5 mile fartlek run the day after we returned and then a nice 5 mile easy run in the Florida drizzle the following day.
Probably the biggest news of the past week is that my husband has officially caught the running bug. I took him to Fleet Feet while we were in Memphis and they fitted him with a pair of Brooks Axiom. He ran with me when I did my fartlek run... and I would just loop back to meet up with him after each interval. He also entered himself in a 5K in Indianapolis while he's away at a work-related conference next month. Go Scott!!!
Including today, I have exactly 46 days until the Danskin Sprint triathlon. I feel confident enough right now in my ability to finish, but I know that I have SO much more in me to give yet. Admittedly, I have not swam in 2 weeks. Vacation was a problem and then the weather cooled down again. My swimming seems takes a back seat b/c it's what I'm most confident & strong in. I can already swim a mile without any issues... and the Danskin is only 1/4 mile. Still, I know that dealing with the issues that come with racing in open water will suck a lot more of my energy than I realize. I need to practice. Today will most likely be a swim day.
ETA: Today's swim was a dud! I completed a mere 400 yds when the lifeguard had everyone get out of the pool due to a chlorine imbalance! Ack! So my swim is moved to tomorrow. In lieu of the swim, I ended up completing a 6 mile hill run.
Scott & I completed a 20 mile bike ride yesterday. My 9-mile split (which is what the Danskin course is) was 31:24. Pretty decent as it has me averaging 17.2 mph (not bad for a newbie cyclist riding outdoors). I focused the final 10 miles on practicing things like drinking, aerodynamics (getting down on those aerobars), and making the most of my bike gears. As usual, I also immediately ran 1/2 mile as a mini-brick to practice my bike to run transition. I'm getting better at these and my legs are adapting more quickly. I'm glad I decided to throw these in after every ride. I think I'll be better for it in the end.
ORN 3-21-08: 3.54 mile fartlek
ORN 3-22-08: 5.16 easy in the rain :)
ORN 3-25-08: 4.43 mile combo road/trail. Felt more like a steeplechase!!!
Strength 3-25-08: strength training- upper & lower. Glutes are still sore from weighted one-leg runner's squats. LOVE these things!
OCN 3-26-08: 20.2 mile bike followed by 1/2 mile "brick" run
OSN 3-27-08: interrupted swim due to chlorine imbalance. Only completed 400 yds.
ORN 3-27-08: 6 mile hill run (well, "bridge" run in Florida since we have no hills).
5 comments:
HEY....what's with the potato chip crack?????...LOL....I love my salty, delicious friends....
Sounds like you're getting some awesome training in there! I'm so jealous. I want/need to run so bad. I still have too much pain. I am running tomorrow with the runners club at the gym. I'm planning to start the speed training at the high school by April 7-ish. I'll shout out so you can meet me there!
I'm glad you had a nice vacation. It's good to get away. Very, very cool that your husband runs too. Mine is more into his bike and weights.
Wanna come with me to Cape Cod in October for the marathon?? I'm seriously thinking of going for the qualifying time for Boston. It'll be a stretch but trying is better than wishing I did. You're welcome to join me. Let me know!!!
Keep runnin'
Kim
Nothing wrong with munchin on some chips LOL
I think you'll do fab :-) 46 days isn't too far off!!
Kim... I am SO pound of you for wanting to work on your time for Boston! You rock, GIRL!
I would LOVE to complete a marathon some day, but I don't think I'll be anywhere near ready for one by October. We're just about to enter tri season... and there just are not enough days to train for everything. Lord knows how I wish there were.
I tell ya, there are some days when I wish I ONLY ran. Then I get on my bike or go for swim and I get so psyched about triathlon! I suppose I'm just so gung-ho about everything that I want to do it all: 5K, 10k, half-marathon, marathon, sprint tri, oly tri, half-ironman, ironman... BRING IT ON! LOL! Of course, I'm also new enough to the sport that I realize that I have to pick and choose my battles right now. Le sigh...
Keep me posted on your hip flexor issue and about training with the HS. :o)
HUGS!
Marcy... gulp... 46 days!
I just did a little shake in my shoes!!!
Thanks for stopping by! Yeah it is always cool to see someone else that has the same goals. Good luck with your training and I have also bookmarked your site!
Post a Comment