
My triathlete friend, Christina, warned me that gastric distress could happen and today was not the first time I've experienced intestinal cramps while running; however, it was the first time where I feared that I very well may have to duck behind a bush and take a crap. Keep in my that I live in a very flat, OPEN area in Southwest FL where squating right there in the middle of the road would be just as private as ducking behind a bush.
It was extremely humid out today with no breeze and in the low 80's when I chose to attempt my very first easy-paced 5 mile run. I was sweating like a pig, yet trotting along at a pace that I was extremely comfy with (approx. 11:24 min/mile) when I felt the first intestinal twinge. I debated on returning to my house and calling it a day, but I was feeling SO good that I knew my legs and cardio system would carry me without a problem to mile 5... so I pushed on.
At mile 3.2 I felt another crampy twinge and slowed to a walk. It disappeared as quickly as it came on and I picked up my running pace again. At mile 3.4... BAM! Mother nature decided to rebel in full force! I slowed to a walk again, but the cramp didn't disappear... it just wavered on. I decided to turn around and get back home. I didn't want to chance running home, so I walked. The cramps came and went the entire time. I was about 1/10 of a mile from home when Scott drove by in his Jeep. I flagged him down like a mad woman and climbed in like Bo Duke jumping in the General Lee! I think he thought I was approaching heat exhaustion status by the way that I looked!
We made it home and I sprinted to the bathroom at what seemed like a 5 min/pile pace to let loose my first edition of runner's trots!
Run planned: Easy 5 miles
Run accomplished: 3.8 miles + a craptastic experience
No comments:
Post a Comment