I was a ball of anxious nerves on Saturday morning. The Komen Race for the Cure is the event that started it all for me back in December and I really wanted to make a good showing... for my mother-in-law & grandmother and for my own personal running goals.
The event itself was spectacular! Everyone seemed to have a story and all were there for a purpose beyond running.
Myself, my mother, and Scott's grandmother (visiting from NJ)
My family and I arrived at the race around 7AM. I promptly picked up my racing chip, stretched out, and then jogged for about 3/4 of a mile around the mall. In practice I have determined that it takes me a good mile to get into a good pace, so I joined the other dedicated runners with a pre-run warm-up jog... and evidently, it worked!
Stretching out before my 'pre-run' run (complete with breakfast of champions)... and with a completely stupid look on my face. Thnks for snapping mid-sentence, hon!
About 7:45, I lined up with the other runners at the start. I was about 7 or 8 rows back from the start line... MUCH closer to the start line than where I was for the Edison 5K. I vow to no longer line up in the middle of the pack or close to the back. I want my timing chip to reflect my time as closely as possible AND I honestly would rather have people pass me at the beginning than have to dodge around slower runners myself.
Getting ready!!
I started out at a 9 min/mile pace and basically kept it somewhere between 9:00 and 9:24 for the entire event. I felt terrific throughout the race... pushing myself, but not overly so. I even had juice left at the end to really kick it out the last half mile and when I came around the last curve and saw that the timer was reading 27:50, kicking it out became quite easy! I crossed the finish line at 28:19:66... beating my previous 5K finish by almost 4 minutes! WOW! What an improvement in a one month period! I guess my increased mileage and speed work were obviously worth it!
I am still riding my PR high... but I'm doing it in gorgeous Germantown, TN (suburb of Memphis)! We left the day after the race (hence the days between the actual race and this race report). I'm enjoying the beautiful scenery, the hills, the weather. I would move here if I could.
*Unfortunately I have ZERO pics post-race b/c our camera batteries died! Go figure!*
ORN 3-15-08: 5K race, 28:19... a new PR!
ORN 3-17-08: 6 miles on hilly terrain at 11:23 pace! LOVELY!!!
6 comments:
YAHOOOOO!!!!! I am soooo flippin' jealous! That's fantastic Sherry!!!! Don't ya just LOVE having the energy to fly into the finish?? I'm very proud of you.
Thank you, from me and also for my Grandmothers. Hugs....
I saw the link for the Shave Your Time and joined it too. My flexor is getting better, I'm HOPING for a nice easy run on Friday morning with my YMCA buds.
Again, fantastic PR, and I can't wait for us to run together,
Kim
CONGRATS CHICA!!! That is AWESOME ;D ;D
I love the pictures Sherry!! You foxy thing!
My run on Friday was awesome. I hadn't run with my coach in so long. My flexor did bother me in work last night, but it was different, not such a sharp pain. I'm hoping for a run tomorrow (after the Easter Bunny, of course)
When's your next race?
Kim
Hi Kim!
LOL! Thanks!! Foxy... even with a crapptastic smirk on my face! Mwahahaha!
Your flexor sounds like it's on the upswing. Maybe doing some easy running will actually help stretch it out a bit. I'm pulling for ya!
Next run... well, is my triathlon. I am debating on doing a 5K on April 20th down at FGCU, but my DH is competing up in Gainesville the day before and trying to jam everything into one weekend might be too much to handle. So for right now, I'm just gearing up for May 11th! I think this next month is going to be INSANE (training wise)!
Happy Easter to you too! HUGS!
Hi Sherry,
I haven't even signed up for any races yet. I want the flexor to be completely healed first. I had a beautiful run with my trainer last friday and did well, but now I can't run at all. Grrrrrr
Good luck with the triathalon training. It was weird to run Friday without any goal, it had a different feeling....
Run hard!!! (still not quite sure what that means...lol)
Kim
Congratulations! A 4 minute improvement is amazing! That's quite a PR. I made my way here via Marion's Shut it and Run blog. Germantown is a very nice area. I had to hang out in the Memphis area last winter for work. I really liked it as well. Of course, I'm a northerner so, time spent anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line in February is always a treat.
Congratulations again.
Post a Comment