Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A little 5K speedplay

After basking in self-pride over my awesome run last Saturday and then enjoying my rest day on Sunday, I decided to really turn my training up a notch this week.

I started off yesterday with a near 20 mile bike ride with DH in 16 mph winds (gusts up to 20mph). Talk about some tough sections of road! Really great practice though and it felt wonderful to open up my bike on some of the longer stretches of road. We only averaged about 15mph b/c of the wind, but occasionally I caught my computer reading 22 mph... and even a whopping 23.3 mph! Zooooooom!!! I also burned 974 calories! All of that General Tso's Chicken that I ate last week.... Gone! Mwahahahahaha!

This morning I completed a 2000 yd swim and then finished up with a 5k fartlek run this evening. This was my first dab with "speed play" and I really enjoyed it! I tried very hard to do the recovery runs nice and easy, but my body wanted to keep up a quicker pace after the sprints. It was difficult to slow down as much as I should have. I ended up averaging a 10:28 pace overall. I did hit a 7:06 min/mile at one point in my sprinting, so "woot" to me! I completed the run in 32:27 which ironically is only 24 seconds slower than my 5K race PR that I about "died" on a few weeks back! I finished this evening's run with energy to spare and that's after already swimming a mile today. Hmph. Maybe I'm improving!?!

The Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida Race for the Cure is coming up on March 15th and my arse feels good enough that I'm still planning on running in the 5k. This race was one of the main reasons why I started running back in December AND I've raised a shit load of money for the cause itself, so I would be very disappointed if I wasn't able to run due to a bum butt. I say a little prayer to the runner Goddess every night that my rear will behave itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey....awesome bike/run! I'm so glad your ass is better!!! I'm kinda jealous, I won't be running again for about 3 weeks. I feel so much better today. The groin pull actually radiates across my pubic bone, not really my lower stomach. I did it 6 weeks ago in yoga but felt fine the last 4 weeks. I'm sure the marathon woke that up. We definately need to run together. It sounds like we're on the same pace per mile. For now....LOL...I plan to pick up some speed work now that the marathon is inder my belt!!!

Kim

PS. You said "shit load"....LMAOOOOO

Sherry said...

**In my best Top Gun voice**

"I feel the need, the need for speed!"

I'm beginning to think that our beloved sport of running is just one injury after another. Hips, groins, achilles, dog bites... geesh! LOL!

Rest well!!!

Marcy said...

Oohhhhhh I love General Tso's chicken. It's always horrible the next day to step on the scale though LOL. Man, I can't even remember the last time I had a 900 + cal burn. GO YOU!!

teacherwoman said...

Wow! nice job on the bike! I can't wait to get my bike and head out on the open road... when the cold weather goes away, that is. :)

Nice job on the morning swim and evening 5K. VERY nice.

Anonymous said...

I feel the need too! The high school track coach invited me to train with them after school!!!! How unbelievable is that? I'm so honored, I almost cried. I'm a wicked mushball...lol. Half those kids are Zoomers, so I know a few of them. I also know I'm a sub 10mm, they're about 4.5 mm....should be hysterical....LOL

2 weeks of marathon recovery to go.
Get ready for a nice Saturday run invite Sherry!!!!!

Kim