Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Old friends, new friends

Every now and again, discarded old friends return like a mountain of comfort food... and new friends enter into your life bringing with them a whirlwind of fresh air!

Since I'm one of those folks who actually has 'few' close human friends and because I'm a tri-quip geek... I'm obviously talking about 'gear' friends. As in non-human friends, as in 'gotta have it if it makes me feel better, run faster' friends.

OLD FRIENDS
Kissing Cousins: The Distance Cure S and the Motion

My Newtons and I parted ways in early January for two reasons: 1. I believed that I could get the forefront cushioning that I desired from any regular shoe out there and 2. because at $175 a pop for the stability trainers... they were expensive.
Since their departure, I have purchased and returned more shoes to RRS than I care to admit. They probably will not renew my VIP plan for next year. Everything that I tried on felt like a big 'ole turd. If the shoe didn't give me blisters, then the heel was too chunky or the footbed to squishy. Nothing felt like the lightweight, super breathable Newtons.

When I contacted Newton Running in late February to hang my head in shame for giving up on my initial pair so quickly, I discovered that there was a way for me to have my cake and eat it too. Let's just say that Newton Running is a pro-public service company and they offer a hefty discount to those who do their share of protecting us while we sleep (Police/Fire/Military). Newton, you rock! So, now my Newtons are back in my life and after a few runs (the correct way... NOT on my tippy toes), my feet/legs feel great, my times look great. I am happy. I'm a Newton runner!

NEW FRIENDS

I'm new to compression. The chicas at tri camp seemed to love compression. One chica in particular, really loves compression! A cult following was born. Enter the amazing Recovery Sock. They arrived in my mailbox last Friday and since then, if I'm in the house I'm wearing them. I had to pry them off of my body on Sunday to launder them and then they immediately went back on. Must order more. I used to wake up with throbbing lower legs. Well, my lower legs throb no longer. Must order more. I want to encase my entire body in a compression sock!

See those red-orange shorts that I'm wearing? Well, they are also new friends. Enter the Lululemon Run Speed Short*G. Finally a running short that doesn't make my legs look like the stumps that they are while making my butt look like that of an 18-year-old track star! I've collected 4 pairs of these shorts in a mere 4 weeks and I still want more. Addicted?? Definitely.

12 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Nice gams, sister!

(That better not end up being a picture of some dude! Or, if it is ... is he seeing anyone?)

Thanks for the kind words about the Ian posts. I could write about him every day! He cracks me up! But I try not to bore everyone with my "I love my son" posts ...

So here's one just for you:

Ian was doing Mad Libs this past weekend (you know what they are, right?) and he was giggling while doing it and wanted me to see why. And he'd filled in every single Noun with either the word "poo" or "pee".

I was cracking up, too, because those are the exact same choices I'd've made!

Take care, sister!

Zoomy said...

Ooh, pretty pink shoes! I can't wait until NB releases the raspberry and silver version of my favorite shoe next month. I'm gonna be running marathon #2 in shoes just as garish as the neon blue ones I wore for #1.

Those socks are interesting. My hubby is suffering with a lot of puffy calves and ankles from his BP meds. He tried some cheap compression socks that didn't do much, but they aren't much more than a men's version of a trouser sock--not much true compression.

Gotta Run..... said...

18-year-old track star butt... girl you are too much...lol!!

Love the "new friends" post. i need some new friends.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I tried Newtons also and I am in the same boat as you on the price, not quite sure I want to anty up $170+ again. Did you say you just contacted them and they knocked the price down? How much??

Sherry said...

IronBob- You have to be police/fire/military to qualify for their discount. :o) If you aren't any of those, I do believe that for a limited time you can get them at trisports.com for 15% off.

teacherwoman said...

Lovin' the socks! Very sexay! :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Compression socks rock!!

Tory said...

Sherry,

We're happy to have you back running with us. Keep up the great work.

:) Tory at Newton Running

Marcy said...

Oooooohhh I *heart* those pink ones! They're SUPER cute!!

Nice lookin leggers chica ;-)

Maggs said...

i love the RRS VIP program. Last year I did the same, buy/return/get another kind/return shoes. It's such a great deal. So many shoe stores don't carry my size in shoes and it's hard to tell until you've run in them a few times.

Heather Gollnick said...

Hey Sherry,

Your site is so much fun !! Looking pretty good in those compression socks!! :)

I am looking so forward to working with you and helping you to achieve your goals !

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!

Caroline Novak said...

Just linked here from I Signed Up for This?!?, and find your blog inspiring.

Very, very cool to read about your Newtons. I've been quite curious about those, but not sure if I've got an efficient enough stride for them yet.

-Another Stiff Legged Comment!-