Monday, March 23, 2009

Keep on drillin'

Well, another week has come and gone. Have I mentioned before how much I LOVE having a coach? I really wish that I had taken the 'coach approach' sooner. I love knowing that Heather's got me doing what I need to do (not guessing about it) and not overdoing it or underdoing it. She's also pushing me just enough to get me out of my comfort zone and I'm really noticing it on the run. When you are a triathlete and trying to balance training for three different disciplines, there's really not a lot of time for slogging (like many 'pure' runners enjoy adding to their weekly mix). Well, I have been slogging waaaay too much!

Drills... drilling is something that I never really did before teaming up with Heather and I think it's going to pay off immensely. The drill time that has been incorporated into my workouts is really allowing me to focus on form without worrying about speed/time (dang Garmin), etc... Had it not been for all of this drilling, I would not have had the swimming epiphany that I had last week (more on that below). So everybody out there in blogland... drill, drill, drill!!!

This next week is lighter on the running mileage (but lots of speedwork) and heavier on the swim. My swimming has really progressed since tri camp in early February. I am much more aware of what my legs are doing now (they were seriously 'out of control' before) AND last week I had an epiphany regarding my pull while working some catch drills! All of the sudden I was like, "oh, so this is the kind of propulsion that a high elbow provides!" Choirs sing!!! Man, that is a feeling I never want to lose! It's amazing how much distance you can pick up when you keep that elbow high and engage the water early in the catch phase.

I'm totally stoked to begin week #3 of the 'coach approach' today-- packed full of a track workout, spin class and some weight training. Tomorrow is an off day for both Scott & I... the first one I've had in a really long time and I think we're going to take in a movie as soon as I finish work. We haven't been to the movie theater since last summer. Hmmm... I wonder if it would be okay for me to have some popcorn (no butter, I promise)???

Training Stats for March 15th - March 22nd
Swim: 3900 yards
Bike: 75.8 miles
Run: 17.3 miles + 4 mile walk
Strength: 3x
Stretch: 3 quality sessions
Total Training Time: 11 hours 57 minutes

8 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Have the butter on the popcorn. That's why we tri, so we can let loose every so often.

Jennifer Harrison said...

YEAHHHH!!!! Keep up the good work! :) Having a coach IS the best!

Anonymous said...

Love the new blog layout.

Regina said...

So funny, as I had an epiphany in the pool just this morning as well running drills. I feel very fortunate to have coaching through Team in Training especially for my first tri. I would still be working it solo if I hadn't decided to join them in the NYC Triathlon. It is invaluable information and you are right about the drills; they really make the difference (as does the coaching, clearly).

congrats on the ranking!

hmmm...three usat races? I'm signed up for two....

Molly said...

I'm laughing because I had a high-elbow catch epiphany a couple months ago and blogged about it. There is one drill in particular...watching the video made it all click for me! Great job this week!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

So everybody out there in blogland... drill, drill, drill!!!

Ayyy, yo, all due respect, sistah, but we Joisey boys ain't sure how we feel havin' a skoirt tell us what ta do, knowhutimean? No disrespect, wo ya doin?

Glad to see the trainer is working out for you.

teacherwoman said...

I sometimes wish I had a coach. But, sometimes I just enjoy telling myself what to do (or not). LOL!

BTW, love the header! :)

Gotta Run..... said...

That is one STRONG week. You are going to be a rock star this year!! No stopping you!