During my long bike today, I found myself thinking about how lucky I am to live in South Florida. When my husband and I moved here in August of 2001 (after living in NJ all of our lives), it was really a leap of faith. While things turned out well for us in the job/housing department, the Florida weather left much to be desired... at least in my opinion. For many years, I could not get used to the fact that we don't have any seasons. It basically goes from warm and slightly sticky to very hot and very sticky to a quick blast of 60 degree days (maybe like 5 in total) and right back to hot and sticky. There is no change in that game.
I spent the first 6 years of my life as a Floridian very disgruntled that I was no longer able to experience fall, winter and spring. Sure, I loved the palm trees, the blue skies, being close to the water. Florida is very pretty. However, I felt like I just couldn't 'connect' with my new state. All of that changed one day in late 2007 when I slipped on my dry rotted old Saucony shoes and went for my first 30 second run.
In 2008 I would find myself falling in love with Florida. The weather remained the same as always... hot and sticky, but the year-round blue skies made for prime tri training (and more importantly, served as motivation to get outside). I quickly learned to appreciate this as I read the blogs of my northern friends who were glued to treadmills and trainers. I'm sure that my Hawaii & SoCal blogfriends can totally relate.
Although my new love for Florida began with triathlon, it hasn't stopped there. From the first day that we moved here, I found myself very appreciative of the Florida flora and fauna. Scott & I have practically adopted the Sandhill crane as our own. We call them our "bird children." Now that I feel more a part of my new home, I'm learning to appreciate many other aspects that makes this state what it is (and I'm not talking about Disney World, here).
Back to today's ride -- gotta love long rides for providing ample 'reflection' time. There I am, cruising along a smooth bike lane in North Naples, lush landscaping all around, blue skies overhead, easterly winds challenging my effort... I think to myself, "this really is a slice of paradise." I can't wait to finish the ride, finish my run... and get home so that I can put on a bikini and soak up some warm rays for the rest of the afternoon.
Long gone are my colorful winter coats, my scarves and hats, the fall/winter 'layering' pieces that I loved so much. Long gone is my windshield scraper and the bags of rock salt. In their place is a plethora of sandals, tank tops, sunglasses and sunscreen. The uptight Northern attitude has been replaced with a more relaxed, laid back version of me. Aside from family members who still live in NJ, the only thing that I really miss anymore is fall apple cider. I have let New Jersey go...
I suppose it's official... I've become a Florida girl!

9 comments:
I love Florida but I'm a born/raised Virginia girl. I love the seasons that I have and wouldn't change living here for nothing.
What ab workout did you do? I want the details.....
Hey Shannon! Virginia IS a beautiful state... I totally agree with you. :o)
Oh, my aching abs! They are still aching this morning. I do core work at least twice a week: once with my best friend Sondra and once with my personal trainer, Jason. We do a variety of exercises using a stability ball, different sized medicine balls, and a BOSU. It's always intense... I just happened to 'overdo' it this week when I did two session (Wed/Thurs) back to back. I knew I was taking a chance, but it fit into my schedule. Bad news! LOL!
You are gonna have an AWESOME season! I can't wait for the results to start pouring in.
I've often thought about where I would move to if I wanted to get away from Iowa. Having been a Texas girl, this snow and freezing temps is BS! I didn't appreciate it when I had the nice weather year round....
The lack of seasons really comes in handy when training for IM races. Poor souls up North have to use indoor trainers in the winter when we can ride virtually every day of the year. Pretty cool.
When I when change of seasons I take business trips to Chicago and St Louis for a day or two. That satisfies that fix.
hhaaa, this Chicago girl says, "I can NOT imagine Christmas with out snow and cold!" But that is 1 day a year! I can fly home. glad you like FL!
Congrats on your USAT/Fl ranking! :)
It was actually cold enough here last week that I was wishing i had some hot apple cider. Of course cold here is in the 50s. But the stores don't carry those little packets of hot cider mix. So I settled for hot tea.
I'm SO proud of your Florida Regional ranking!!! Wowweeeee Sherry!!!
I was born a Florida girl, it just took me 38 years to get here! I too, only miss the fall apple pickin' season. In October, I put cider in the crockpot with apple slices and let the smell permiate throughout the house. That's all I need...LOL
You guys hitting Spring Fest in Lakewood Ranch next weekend?????
I have spent some summers in FL, not for me. That said, I could do without the winter, but love the fall and spring too much to leave the northeast. Although I could see myself a CA girl.
Congrats on the USAT ranking!
Hey Sher - great that you are embracing your home, it is so important to do that! And I loved the part where you mentioned the flora and fauna. You know I am a big enviro gal - my biking partners let me jabber on about what we are seeing on our scenic rides and my boyfriend and i have a list of the birds we have seen on runs together.
congrats on the ranking and can't wait to see how your first tri goes! i haven't been on my bike save one or two times on a trainer... ugh, cold weather riding! i am gearing up for the broad street run, pretty excited about that but still over a month away!
Post a Comment